12:38

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Van restoration?

Old 16th December 2008, 12:07

Van restoration?

Hi guys. Just joined up yesterday and said hello in the "say hello" section!

I've got myself what I've just found out is a 12 ton BR standard goods van. There's a pic (of a model) on this link http://www.scalefour.org.uk/parkside/PC07A.gif which looks about right.

Sadly the pictures of my own little van are a little less easy on the eye!!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinsano...7611211197371/

It's been sat in a field for many years there's a large tree growing through the floor (and out of the roof). It's pretty battered and most people would probably leave it there (I still might), but I quite fancy having a go at fixing it up.

SO....... I thought I would strip the wood off (as it's all pretty rotten) and that would leave the nuts and bolts exposed (apologies if I don't know the correct names for bits). Angle-grind the bolts off, and then that would leave a metal frame. Should then be able to lift it up (I have the machinery to do it) and have a look all around, plus can then put back down on some sleepers and give it a bit of ground clearance. Somebody (like me with zero knowledge of these things) said to start a fire in the van to get rid of the wood? I'm not so sure, hard work is probably the way to do it.

Anyway, with a bare frame I could get it blasted and then coated/painted etc

To be fair if this project is for me then it'll end up as a little store-shed or office and very unlikely to ever sit back on wheels (apologies if that's sacrilege!).

Am I going to be able to find original bolts to replace? What about door hinges and the such? Or do I just use what will do the job?

So with an improved frame, I might feel motivated to start finding some wood for the body!

But that's a way off, and I'm sure I've missed something/going to do something wrong/shouldn't bother, so I'm at your mercy for suggestions, input and criticism!

Cheers

Pinsanon
(hope I'm in the right forum section)

Old 16th December 2008, 22:53

Is that the 'Mother in Law' wrapped up in the Rail 8 photo?
John (G)
Old 16th December 2008, 23:41

Yikes.! It does look a bit like a body doesn't it! I'm sure it didn't when I was falling around on the inside trying to find something stable to stand on, but I'd better check in the morning! If it's gone in the next photo then you've not seen me, right?!

Out of interest I rang the Bucks railway place, Quainton (as I'm local), and the Bluebell Railway (as I'm originally a Sussex lad) - neither were interested in a free rotten goods van! Guess it'll have to remain my own little project for a while yet (crime scene permitting )!

Cheers

Pinsanon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motherinlaw [50%].jpg (12.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 17th December 2008, 09:59

Are you going to get a 'Job Lot' of timber from your local B&Q or is there a timber yard nearby that has a dodgy fence round it? More seriously what I could see in the photos would make a grand basis for a workshop or perhaps a 'Layout Shed' as the basic steel frame looks to be useable however what is the underneath frame like? Whitworth nuts and bolts are still available from screw suppliers otherwise for a non authentic restoration you will need to use the nearest Metric size.
Have fun with your project.
John (G)
PS Don't forget to bury that body.