08:32

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Building a model railway!

Old 16th September 2012, 18:09

Smile Building a model railway!

Hi everyone, I'm just starting to build a model railway in OO gauge based on the type of traffic that passed through Fareham in Hampshire from about 1985 to 1990. I can remember the class 33's and 50's that used to go through but can't remember the other types of train (both passenger and freight) that used to go through.

Can anyone anyone recommend any books, people I can contact or forum threads in order to increase my rolling stock.

Thanks in advance.

Stu
email: [email protected]

Old 16th September 2012, 23:22

Have you tried your local library?
Old 17th September 2012, 05:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by farehamstu View Post
Hi everyone, I'm just starting to build a model railway in OO gauge based on the type of traffic that passed through Fareham in Hampshire from about 1985 to 1990. I can remember the class 33's and 50's that used to go through but can't remember the other types of train (both passenger and freight) that used to go through.

Can anyone anyone recommend any books, people I can contact or forum threads in order to increase my rolling stock.

Thanks in advance.

Stu
email: [email protected]
Hi Stu, 33s used to work Portsmouth to Bristol/Cardiff, these were replaced by class 155 DMUs, they had door faults and were all taken out of service temporarily, and for a short while 33s operated the services again. They were replaced by class 156, then 158s towards the end of the 80s. Class 50s worked the Plymouth/Portsmouth leg of the Plymouth/Brighton trains. Class 56s worked stone trains through Fareham; these may have been superceded by 59s later, I've seen 73s on ballast etc. Class 204, 205 & 207 worked Portsmouth/Salisbury services, also the Portsmouth/Reading services; at weekends, some of the Reading trains were worked by 33/1s + 4TC EMU set. Portsmouth/Southampton trains were usually 4VEPs or 4CIGS, which also took over the DMU duties once the Fareham/Eastleigh line was electrified later in the 80s; 2HAPs weren't unknown at Fareham either. 47s used to make the odd appearance too, some operated the weekly freight (munitions) to Frater (Gosport), as did 33s and 73s. 08s + 09s probably passed when the two Fratton shunters were swapped over with something else from Eastleigh TMD, although I never saw this personally. In 1989, two 20s spent several days performing weedkilling duties, being based at Eastleigh; these worked the Gosport line as well.
Here's a link to a large amount of my photos taken in the Portsmouth/Fareham/Gosport area between 1984 and 1991-ish:-

http://daverowland.smugmug.com/RAILW...1070&k=7rCFcFX

Hope this is helpful.
Dave, Gosport.

Last edited by Dave Rowland; 17th September 2012 at 05:37. Reason: oops forgot something, correcting date
Old 17th September 2012, 14:47

Welcome to the forum Stu. Hope you enjoy the company.
All the best
Phil
Old 17th October 2012, 22:33

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply, had an unscheduled trip abroad. Thanks for your help Dave, probably got more questions but you've given me much to work on