08:15

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Worst Station

Old 20th November 2005, 19:50

Exclamation Worst Station

We all see annual awards for the best kept/run stations on our network.
I am throwing the gauntlet down now by inviting suggestions for the worst stations on the network.
My personal award goes to Heysham Harbour which to incoming visitors by sea presents itself as a few rusting sheets of metal with the semblance of a permanent way entering it.
I expect an entry for Wakefield Kirkgate.
COME ON NAME AND SHAME!!

Old 21st November 2005, 08:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Burdett
I am throwing the gauntlet down now by inviting suggestions for the worst stations on the network.
COME ON NAME AND SHAME!!
Ore on the Ashford to Hastings line!!! Targeted heavily by vandals so now it is a steel mess!!!

Ben
Old 21st November 2005, 21:55

My local station, Marks Tey near Colchester seems a really tidy station and has 24 hour CCTV protection. I must congratulate the staff at Marks Tey, they do a great job!

Cheers
Desiro-mad
Old 23rd November 2005, 00:00

Worst...

Top prize has to go to Birmingham New Street Dungeon...sorry Station, having spent time there on the P&M as an apprentice many many years ago, ive seen parts of it most never see, and its grusome from all angles!

Pull it down and build new again....mind they would probaly build something equally concrete and cr*p again!
Old 24th November 2005, 12:40

I was born in Birmingham and agree that the best thing to happen to New Street Station would be for it to be razed to the ground.At least Birmingham Moor Street looks good even if they can't use all the tracks!
Old 24th November 2005, 20:02

Worst

I agree with the two previous posts.
Birmingham New Street is the worst station. I too have worked on New Street dealing with platform works about 20 years ago.
I remember the station before electrification with the overall roof and Queen's Drive between the LNW and Midland halves of the station. It was a great shame they had to cover it all in to provide a shopping mall.
I wonder what the new design will bring?
Old 4th December 2006, 21:26

Exclamation worst

As a regular user of new street and a mad enthusiast new street has to win top prize. I have no worries about changing trains so its not intimidating but the place is not welcoming in any way
Old 4th December 2006, 22:55
Station Manager

Fortunately I left Birmingham before they completed the rebuilding of New Street, so my memories of the old station are unclouded! It is amazing how often I recognise the old station from Steam age photos!
Old 12th December 2006, 00:23

Sorry guys, but worst station has to be Nuneaton. OK I accept that the new extension - Platforms 6 and 7 are well lit and tidy but the rest is filthy, as for the public conveniences I'm surprised the Health and Safety Executive haven't said anything - I much rather nip to Asda and use their conveniences or if the Coventry unit is in - jump on that (bearing in mind it only has a 10-15 minute turn around time

Cheers

James
Old 12th December 2006, 22:04

I would say Ore was the worst station on the network. The platform shelters have no windows any more, the signs have gun shot dents in and theres dog crap everywhere. And sometimes on teletext you find that there is disruption between Hastings and Ashford because of faulty signals. I'm suprised Network Rail have'nt put a cage around it.

GBRf_66709