14:26

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Spot the difference

Old 30th April 2007, 09:47

Talking Spot the difference

I came across a 1958 photo of Norton station (Cheshire) last night and decided to compare it with ones I took in 1980 and 2002. It's changed quite a bit although the crossover is still there.
Almost 30 years after the first shot was taken, a new station (just visible in the background) was built, to serve the rapidly expanding Runcorn New Town. The photos also show why we now have so many problems with leaves in autumn.
norton station.jpg

Old 30th April 2007, 19:47

Facinating that there wasn't much tree growth between 1959 and 1980, and it's only after 1980 that the growth really took hold.

i.e. in the 1970'sm maybe they were still cutting back the vegetation, even though Steam had gone
Old 30th April 2007, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat View Post
Facinating that there wasn't much tree growth between 1959 and 1980, and it's only after 1980 that the growth really took hold.

i.e. in the 1970'sm maybe they were still cutting back the vegetation, even though Steam had gone
Yes, that's possible Shed Cat.
The local council in this area has planted many trees and private developers were also encouraged to do the same but I think most of the trees visible in the 2002 photo are on railway property.
Old 30th April 2007, 21:37
Registered Member

Hi John I was comparing the centre photo (1980) And the coloured photo
(2002).The tree behind the house is not visible in the older photo but look at the coloured one and see how much it's growh in those few years. Now it's higher than the house.
Alan Locojoe.
Old 30th April 2007, 21:38
Station Manager

When labour was cheap the grass etc. on the sides of the railway used be kept short to cut down fire risk. At the end of steam this was no longer necessary so the practice ceased, but slowly as Shed Cat suggests!

Photos from the age of steam very often show a lot fewer trees. I'm sure it not that simple but the end of steam did allow more trees to grow which is why preserved railways have to cut down so many trees!

Last edited by John H-T; 30th April 2007 at 21:43.
Old 1st May 2007, 19:30

There is a theory that it is only the tree roots that are holding together the embankments and cutting sides, especially in clay soils.

It's all to with the rate that the water drains through clay. It takes about 150 years for the water locked deep inside the clay to fully drain out. The dry soil is weaker than the damp soil. And when were many railway embankments and cuttings dug?.........About 1850 ish.