18:03

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hello from Algerian

Old 20th January 2011, 16:26

I briefly visited Algiers in 1978 (just long enough to change money and eat a meal) after travelling by train from Tunis. Afterwards continuing to Oran (superb railway station) for six days, then on to the end of the line near Oujda, then a month in Morocco: Oujda to Fez, Casablanca & Marrakesh, later return from Casablanca to Tangier, changing trains somewhere in between. I found the Algerian people were among the frendliest and helpful that I've met anywhere.

Old 20th January 2011, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimbleshanks View Post
What has happened to the narrow gauge line that ran from Mohammedia to Bechar? I heard that there was a plan to convert it to standard (1435mm) gauge but then I believe the line closed. Is it ever likely to reopen again? Wasn't there once a plan to extend that route right across the Sahara?

I guess all the other narrow gauge lines have closed in Algeria - I remember seeing one at a place called Djelfa when I visited your country back in 1984 which I think at that time was still open but for freight only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxokid View Post
Hi and welcome buddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
Welcome to the Forum Nabil. Hope you enjoy it and find it useful.

best wishes,

John H-T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
I briefly visited Algiers in 1978 (just long enough to change money and eat a meal) after travelling by train from Tunis. Afterwards continuing to Oran (superb railway station) for six days, then on to the end of the line near Oujda, then a month in Morocco: Oujda to Fez, Casablanca & Marrakesh, later return from Casablanca to Tangier, changing trains somewhere in between. I found the Algerian people were among the frendliest and helpful that I've met anywhere.
Thank's a lot! as i see there where lot of british who visit Algeria in the 70's, your are still welcome there i know a british railway worker who visited Algeria last year to see some old 70's U.S and Canadian model train still outstanding I'll post his photos

Dave i creat a topic for Oran Railway Station here http://railwayforum.net/showthread.php?t=9107

Last edited by yorktown; 20th January 2011 at 17:38.
Old 26th January 2011, 11:59

Hello and welcome!
FTS member

All views/opinions expressed are purely MY OWN and NOT that of any preservation group/organisation I am part of