20:46

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Fawley Refinery

Old 23rd October 2009, 08:46

Fawley Refinery

Hi, couple of questions for anyone on here with recent knowledge of operations at Fawley refinery.
Firstly there was/is a line into the refinery itself and a small network of lines within the complex. Is this still in use? Is it still accessible? There is an aerial photo pn Google Earth which shows a rake of what looks like LPG tanks stored on the access line which suggests no regular usage
Secondly there used to be large numbers of wagons of various sorts stored in extensive holding sidings but when I flew over the site recently these appeared to be more or less empty. Is the site being run down?
FInally how many workings remain to/from Fawley? I beliive there is a regular bitumen train out and a crude working in from Alton. Is there much else now?
Many thanks!

Old 30th November 2009, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by domeyhead View Post
Hi, couple of questions for anyone on here with recent knowledge of operations at Fawley refinery.
Firstly there was/is a line into the refinery itself and a small network of lines within the complex. Is this still in use? Is it still accessible? There is an aerial photo pn Google Earth which shows a rake of what looks like LPG tanks stored on the access line which suggests no regular usage
Secondly there used to be large numbers of wagons of various sorts stored in extensive holding sidings but when I flew over the site recently these appeared to be more or less empty. Is the site being run down?
FInally how many workings remain to/from Fawley? I beliive there is a regular bitumen train out and a crude working in from Alton. Is there much else now?
Many thanks!
The Fawley branch is still in use, but with less traffic than previous years due to flows either finishing completely (such as the 6M23 Fawley - Longport LPG train, which went in around 1993) or starting/finishing elsewhere. The LPG tanks were in the process of being cut up last time I was there (3 yrs!) so may well have gone now. The bitumin (Bromford tanks) has recently finished, so its mainly the three times weekly Holybourne tanks (crude oil for refining) and the fuel oil train which runs I think twice a week for Bristol St Phillips Marsh, and the West Country.

In the yard itself DB have been storing wagons & coaching stock there, but much of it is now unused and falling into disrepair. Of interest, the original station platform is still there (I used to use it sometimes for changing ends) complete with 'Fawley' cast concrete signage. Anything unboltable and light enough to move however has already been nicked. Esso have their own shunting locos there, the usual one in use being called 'Bluebird'.
Old 2nd December 2009, 22:15

Quite a few years ago there was a daily train from Fawley to Tavistock Jtc Plymouth and back I dont know if the train still runs as Tavi jtc Yard is now mothballed.
What a shame.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr GET ALL THEM BIG LORRIES OFF THE ROAD.

ccmmick.

Old 4th December 2009, 09:59

There was an item on Meridian News a few days ago, it seems there's a lot of serious consideration being given to resuming passenger services on this line, at least, as far as Marchwood.
Old 23rd December 2009, 19:10

The best hope for the branch would be to build the Dibden Bay Container Terminal. I think a lot of the Fawley output goes by road tanker for local deliveries and also by pipeline(?) - based on things I observed when working on the original Dibden Bay planning application.
Old 23rd December 2009, 21:20

There's still a fair amount of MOD traffic to the Sea Mounting Centre (Marchwood Military Port)