13:46

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hello again

Old 19th September 2010, 13:00

Hello again

My name is John, live in Blackpool and I'm interested in photos and memorabilia of steam-age Lancashire railways.

Last edited by majorfubar; 19th September 2010 at 13:11.
Old 19th September 2010, 19:21

Hello John,
Welcome aboard the Railway Forum and hope you enjoy it
Regards

www.chasewaterrailway.co.uk
Old 19th September 2010, 20:55

Thank you for your welcome. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be posting here very often. Twice I've tried posting a 'hello' thread: the first time it was deleted in its entirety without explanation. The second time it was edited and 2/3rds of my post removed, leaving just one sentence which remains (above), again without the courtesy of an explanation of what rules I had broken.

Frankly I find that kind of totalitarian moderation OTT, especially to a newbie.

So I shall take my interest to somewhere where the moderators are a bit more welcoming and communicative.

I expect this too will be deleted...

But thank you for your kind welcome.

John
Old 19th September 2010, 21:52
Station Manager

Hello John and welcome to the Railway Forum. I do not know who or why your posts were deleted, but it was not me that did it. The moderators on this site are normally very easy going and would normally talk among themselves before removing any post. There would normally be a good reason, IE swearing, attacking another member or worst of all spam. I hope you will stay and contribute to the forum.
Old 19th September 2010, 22:07

Well Majorfubar.

You jumped in with only the thought of flogging your precious photo, so I can see why that post was deleted, and then post number 2 contained criticism of the deletion, so that bit was deleted.

You don't seem like you have that much interest about the forum, only furthuring your own interests ?
Old 19th September 2010, 23:01

Welcome to the forum John from a fellow Lancastrian. Similar interests here, particular on the old Lancashire railways and the steam era. I'm sure you'll find plenty of interest here if you stick around - I have. There's plenty to rummage through on the various threads. All the best,

If it has less than 16 wheels it had better be a bike. If it has more than two wheels, it had better be a TRAIN!!
Old 19th September 2010, 23:21

Sorry you feel that way, pre65,, and sorry to have ruffled feathers with just my first post. But, maybe whoever did it should have first considered that my post was well-intended, aimed to bring something to the attention of a community which may well be interested in it but may not otherwise see it, instead of shooting me first and asking questions later.

I didn't post it to deliberately annoy mods or contributors. Why would I do that? Then when I asked in my second post what had I done to offend, that got deleted too!

If I broke forum rules, as a total newby I feel an edit to my original post accompanied by a PM explaining why it was unsuitable would have left me with a much better initial impression of the forum leadership, don't you? I would have fully respected that approach, and it is exactly what I do on the forums I moderate.

But what's done is done.

Interestingly, I posted the exact same thread on a local history website and was thanked for bringing it to their members attention. Just shows how people can interpret the same well-meant thread in completely different ways.

I've been looking around: some great stuff here. Just maybe the chiefs need to lighten up a little with less of the 'guilty until proven innocent' eh?

Best wishes.

Last edited by majorfubar; 19th September 2010 at 23:27.
Old 20th September 2010, 07:54
Station Manager

Good morning John and welcome to the forum, we get quite a lot of people who try and advertise or put threads on here that are not allowed, I have not seen the deleted posts so I can not comment on them. This forum is very successful and we try and keep things above board. You have had a look round so you know what I mean. Enjoy this forum John like the rest of us, all the best from another fellow Lancastrian.
Old 20th September 2010, 11:52

welcome and hope you have more luck with your future posts.

Squeaky
Old 20th September 2010, 12:02

Hang in there, it will get better. This is a great bunch.
mickey