10:49

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Swiss N-Gauge layout under construction.

Old 23rd July 2011, 11:40

Hi John.

Yeap, it is really a nice looking model. I sure hope that Liliput continues to produce SBB models...

I have a question: how have you done your passenger platforms?

Cheers!

Old 23rd July 2011, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaniel View Post

I have a question: how have you done your passenger platforms?

Cheers!
Hi Luis,
I have used Balsa wood for all my platforms. Because it can be cut with a sharp knife curved platforms are very easy to make. I cover the balsa wood with a very thin skimming of model filler in order to smooth out any imperfections before rubbing down with very fine abrasive paper and painting. Old type platforms with edging stones can be represented by painting and then scribing with a very sharp knife. Newer style platforms with concrete edges can be represented by glueing strips of plastic card onto the edge of the balsa wood and then painting.
Old 24th July 2011, 23:38

Awesome setup got to be one of the best I have seen so far!
Thanks
Phil
Old 25th July 2011, 16:37

Hi John.

Thank you for your tips.

When will you post some more photos from your layout? I think that every one here would be glad to see some more of your great layout.

What about a video?

eheh!

Thank you.
Old 4th May 2015, 22:27

I can't believe that it's nearly four years since I posted my last update and as there appears to be renewed modelling interest on the forum at the moment I thought this was as good a time as any to do one.
Progress has been slow but positive and generally speaking I am pleased with the way that the layout has developed. Many trees have been planted, the ballasting has finally been completed but still no overhead catenary. The main terminus has changed it's name to Schlossfelden but I still can't think of a name for the small mountain station.
I'm sure that many modellers will accuse me of cramming too much into too small a space but that's just the way I tend to do things. I construct a number of individual scenes that are supposed to represent things that I have seen when visiting Switzerland and then join them together to form a layout.
The first two photos show an area used by the P.W. Dept. to store materials and consists of a couple of sidings one of which holds an "Unterkunftswagen" or accommodation coach. These coaches have cooking facilities and until very recently lady cooks were often employed by the railway to conjure up tasty hot meals for the maintenance teams particularly when they were working in remote mountain locations. The first time I came across one of these coaches I just couldn't believe how civilised a Swiss railway lunchbreak could be. Beats eating your butties in a grubby transit van any day.
The next photo shows the goods depot at Schlossfelden. In the foreground I have created part of a lineside allotment. Once common in the UK these are still very common in Switzerland especially in the towns where a surprising number of people live in apartments. In my scene it would appear that the women are doing most of the work.
The fourth photo is the gravel loading facility. I originally intended modelling a quarry but underestimated the amount of space needed so I settled for just the loading facility which is connected by conveyor belt to the conveniently "out of sight" quarry.
The remaining photo is a general shots of the layout and shows just how many trees have sprung up since the last update.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forum_P4290071.jpg (248.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg forum_P4290076.jpg (242.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg forum_P5040083.jpg (192.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg forum_P5040110.jpg (208.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg forum_PC140031.jpg (227.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 4th May 2015, 23:49
Station Manager

Thanks for the update and photos John. My layout is at a stand still again as my wife has B-cell Lymphoma and is under going Chemo. Result is as well as running to and from the hospital and looking after her, I have all the house work, cooking, shopping etc to do. I'm not complaining as she looked after me when I was ill, and when I had my knee removed. It's just that I don't seem to find time to work in the modelling shed.
Old 5th May 2015, 10:03

I'm not a great fan of N gauge usually Swisstrains but your layout is absolutely brilliant in my view!

DSY011 - You have my condolences and I'm now retired to assist looking after my wife who is undergoing cancer treatment (5 years and counting) so there's little time for railway modelling but I do find that the few model railway projects that I do most theraputic.

Last edited by Toddington Ted; 5th May 2015 at 10:04. Reason: explanation
Old 5th May 2015, 10:08

Sorry to hear about your wife Syd. You really seem to have been through it in the last few years.
Let's hope that the doctors can give her some relief from this terrible illness and that you can then both enjoy your retirement.
Best wishes.
Old 5th May 2015, 10:11

Brilliant progress John. Its a joy to see the levels of detail applied. I would love to see a video of the actual running with the new parts added, if you have any?
Thank you for updating us and keep up the excellent work
All the best
Phil
Old 7th May 2015, 09:41

Absolutely incredible layout. Stunning. Well done John!