18:16

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

12ft by 9ft layout

Old 17th January 2009, 21:55

12ft by 9ft layout

say chaps could i pick a few brains i seem to be good at buying bits an bobs but aint so clever at making plan for a layout
what i would like in 00 that is, an to use the full 12 b 9 in me garage an go under an work in the middle, i 'am wanting to use the super 4 track cos i've got a collection from when i was a boy ( snow rescue set ) plus others with deep wheel flanges, but mainly i would like to run change over from steam to deltics, so i would like some long runs with town station, village station, and countryside station. sorry about going on for so long but you can't beat detail.
jus in case i get a answer thanks............

Old 17th January 2009, 22:55

12 x 9 is a reasonable size for a OO layout but I think three stations is asking a bit too much especially if you want long runs. Are you only interested in main line running or would you like to have some sort of branch line as well?
It might also help if we had some idea of your skill levels. e.g. would you feel confident enough to build a layout with tracks at different levels and do you want it to be scenic etc. ?
Perhaps you could do a rough sketch of the sort of layout that interests you, scan it and then post it to the forum. It doesn't have to be fancy but we could use that as a starting point. Believe me you will get a lot more enjoyment out of the hobby if you get involved at the beginning and don't just rely on other people's ideas.
Old 19th January 2009, 02:24

12ft by 9ft sounds like a blessing! If I were lucky enough to have this sort of space I would have a large station on one of the 12 ft sides and a storage yard opposite, disguised by a 12ft length of open country track. Although it sounds like a big space, it isn't really. But it's enough space to have a decent 'watching the trains go by' type of layout, with a bit of shunting and a locomotive depot. My advice would be to not over complicate things. Keep it all on one level and as simple as possible, but not so simple that you don't enjoy playing....sorry, operating it.

I don't know how I've got the nerve to post really, I can't get a decent 'N' gauge layout onto a door!

Good luck!
Old 19th January 2009, 23:20

12ft x 9ft with an operating well in the middle is almost ideal in my book. It offers reasonable operating potential and allows one to avoid the use of tight curves. It is also about as large a layout as one person can do proper justice to if going for a reasonable level of modelling realism.

I'm with Trev up to a point - use one 12ft side as a through station with the "rear" 12ft as a storage/fiddle yard disguised either by countryside or some sort of industrial or dockside branch. I would however advocate a branch terminus on a higher level to add operating interest and "feed" the mainline through station. The branch can rise from an outside bay platform and terminate on the fourth side of the layout. It can be disguised by a scenic break from the through station. Ample storage is an essential and I would advocate a minimum of 3 loops on each of the down and up within the storage/fiddle area. The through station can accommodate a few sidings for freight/shunting and of course the necessary MPD which must be totally out of proportion to "normal" requirements. "You can't have too many locos!"

If you can accommodate it, which I believe you can in 12 x 9, a through line or goods avoiding line will enhance operating potential. I have a 10 x 8 along these lines but I have had to restict storage, I dont have the through line and I could do with one more crossover to aid loco changes at the principal station.

If you'd like a track plan email me.

My electrics involve 3 controllers each with cab control (ie not DCC) I can guide you on wiring but it is a fair undertaking. DCC would be a lot simpler.

Hope this helps. Mike
Old 20th January 2009, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60159 View Post
.................. I have a 10 x 8 along these lines but I have had to restict storage, I dont have the through line and I could do with one more crossover to aid loco changes at the principal station.

If you'd like a track plan email me. ...................
Mike,
Although your comments are aimed at "buffer" I'm sure there are many other forum members who would appreciate seeing some photos of your layout and the trackplan. Photos could either be posted in this thread or in the gallery.
Old 21st January 2009, 11:45

Crikey 12x9 compared to my 10x5 its going to be an empire, good luck and hope you get a ton of enjoyment out of building the layout.
Old 21st January 2009, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
Mike,
Although your comments are aimed at "buffer" I'm sure there are many other forum members who would appreciate seeing some photos of your layout and the trackplan. Photos could either be posted in this thread or in the gallery.
John, I got a message from Buffer asking for a plan which I've done by hand but I'm no artist! My scheme is only my take on things and is merely a suggestion - I'm not an authority and there are many with more skill and knowledge than me.

Whatever, happy to share info on/views of my layout which I must emphasise is under construction. Track is laid, all electrics done and it operates (which is a mistake as it means I play with it instead of getting on with the ballasting and scenery!) Good loco stud (of course!) and most locos nicely weathered for me by an acquaintance in Thorne who is a recognised expert in this art.

I've posted the first pic in the gallery as it's too big to attach here. It's my home made control panel which gives a schematic of the layout and has all the studs for point changes and switches for isolating sections. The vertical row of switches are all three way and can switch each coloured section to one of three controllers - 2 on the panel and one plug in hand held. The operating well sits between the grey "yard and engine shed" and the yellow "dock branch". The green branch line rises up from the main through station and the branch station actually sits over the blue and red storage roads (which are not shown complete) and the two yellow storage sidings. (I hope that makes sense!)

Mike

Last edited by 60159; 21st January 2009 at 18:56.
Old 21st January 2009, 21:19
Station Manager

The home made control panel looks good Mike. I know what you mean about running trains instead of doing the other work that needs doing. Don't worry about putting photos on the gallery as they will be seen. I have placed all my model railway photos on the main gallery. My big problem is the electrical side of modeling which I'm not very good at but I enjoy doing the scenery.
Old 21st January 2009, 21:22

Quote:
John, I got a message from Buffer asking for a plan which I've done by hand but I'm no artist! My scheme is only my take on things and is merely a suggestion - I'm not an authority and there are many with more skill and knowledge than me.
Hi Mike, I think most of the active modellers on this forum are in a similar category to you, myself included. I know that there are at least 5 members of the forum who are considering or planning a layout and I thought that a general discussion would be advantageous to everyone and not just "buffer". The railway modelling section of this forum often gets neglected so, whenever possible, I try to encourage members to talk about and where possible post pictures of their layouts. I am building a layout myself (Swiss N-Gauge) but it is of very little interest to the majority of members who are staunchly British 00-Gauge.

Quote:
..................Track is laid, all electrics done and it operates (which is a mistake as it means I play with it instead of getting on with the ballasting and scenery!) ..................
I know what you mean..........I am a big believer in getting the layout as quickly as possible to the point where you can get something running. I think this helps to maintain interest but as you say you are then tempted to "play trains" On the other hand I am also a big believer in testing, testing and more testing so by playing trains you can iron out any faults before the track is ballasted and while it is still easily accessible.

Quote:
I've posted the first pic in the gallery as it's too big to attach here. It's my home made control panel which gives a schematic of the layout and has all the studs for point changes and switches for isolating sections. The vertical row of switches are all three way and can switch each coloured section to one of three controllers - 2 on the panel and one plug in hand held. The operating well sits between the grey "yard and engine shed" and the yellow "dock branch". The green branch line rises up from the main through station and the branch station actually sits over the blue and red storage roads (which are not shown complete) and the two yellow storage sidings. (I hope that makes sense!)
Mike
Thanks for that Mike. I like to see a nice tidy control panel. I know the trend nowadays is to go for DCC but I find controlling trains with a conventional control panel is part of the fun. (I must be a frustrated signaller ) I even enjoy doing all the wiring......is that sad?

Last edited by swisstrains; 21st January 2009 at 21:24.
Old 21st January 2009, 22:31

just like to say thankyou chaps for answering me thread, but part of me seems to think that i've caused a prob or two, i do hope this aint the case,but i'am sorry if i have ok .............