17:40

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Looking for history of 2 stations - Moorfields in Liverpool and Yeoford in Devon

Old 1st April 2011, 13:56

Looking for history of 2 stations - Moorfields in Liverpool and Yeoford in Devon

Hi all,
I'm hoping some of you out there can help me. I'm interested in finding Out the history of 2 different stations. Moorfields station in Liverpool and Yeoford station in Devon.
Is there any official source that I could use? Or if not is there a good resource that's known to be accurate etc.
I'm interested in significant events in their history. Like what their role in the WW2 was and how their use over the years has changed. Have they had any major alterations etc.
Anyway hoping some of you can point me in the right direction.
Regards and thanks
CC

Old 3rd April 2011, 18:09

Moorfields didn't exist until the 1970s as far as I know. it replace the old Liverpool Exchange terminus station when the Merseyrail underground sections were built.
Old 5th April 2011, 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimbleshanks View Post
Moorfields didn't exist until the 1970s as far as I know. it replace the old Liverpool Exchange terminus station when the Merseyrail underground sections were built.
Yes, Moorfields didn't open until 1977 it primarily being built to replace Exchange station bringing in passengers from Kirkby, Ormskirk and Southport. Low Level platforms are for the Northern Line, and Deep level for the Wirral Line.
Old 27th April 2011, 22:32

Wikipedia has some info. on Moorfields which seems to include a good summary of its history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moorfields_railway_station

Bevan
Old 18th July 2012, 21:49

Any changes at Yeoford, i should say so, unmanned and barren, one now unused platform on the old Exeter - Plymouth southern route, the other platform on the Exeter - Barnstaple line. It used to have a rather tall signal box which loomed over the overbridge.
A disaster occured in the sixties when a tamper stabled in the sidings (now gone) caught fire and burnt the operator to death, suspected he had been smoking while attempting repair a hydraulic leak
Old 21st July 2012, 22:09

Graiser has giiven some current information on Yeoford but some history is on wikipedia under Yeoford. There is a book on the Exeter - Barnstaple line published by Middleton I think. If I remember rightly it was a busy station in early steam days where passengers could change thinking particulasrly of The Atlantic Express as four portions ran through it - Plymouth, Ilfracombe, Bude and Padstow. I have travelled there twice in recent years. It is now an isolated single platform in the middle of nowhere or so it seems. Hope you make some progress in your search.