09:03

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Andoversford Junction

Old 10th January 2010, 15:33

Sorry I don't seem to have those!

Old 11th January 2010, 20:11

Hi Ted,

A very impressive layout, well done. It's always nice to see what other people's layouts look like.

My own layout was a way to interact with my autistic son but he has progressed to his own HO Thomas layout in the ex-aviary and I seem to have claimed the N gauge layout as 'mine'.

Alex
Old 23rd January 2010, 16:42

hi ted
Nice layout ive just joined this site im from cheltenham and ive noticed your name is toddington ted does that mean your local to me im also building a layout on the mswr mid 1930s probibly foss cross or whittington.
noggin
Old 24th January 2010, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by noggin View Post
hi ted
Nice layout ive just joined this site im from cheltenham and ive noticed your name is toddington ted does that mean your local to me im also building a layout on the mswr mid 1930s probibly foss cross or whittington.
noggin
Not local any more, but I lived in the area for many years and I remember Andoversford Station (just) when it was open. Sadly I was too young to really appreciate it and not of the generation who did, thank goodness, go out with their cameras and record it. I presume you mean Withington rather than Whittington with regards to stations.
Old 25th January 2010, 18:17

mswjr

Sorry Ted
Yes i did mean Withington ,i recently walked most of the line there is more left of it than you might think the platforms are still at withington but you would never know there was a station at andoversfod apart from the station road sign ,Love this line but not many photos of it in its prime , anyway good to see you are making a model of part of it hope your gonna show sometime.
Noggin.
Old 22nd December 2012, 14:56

After quite a period of inaction, I decided to try and improve my Andoversford 00 gauge layout, especially as I was concious that I had never wired it up properly (just enough to test the track layout and to run something!) and, after visiting more model railway shows and thinking, "I could do better than I've done with this" I decided that 2012 would be a year of improvement. I'm pleased to say that, partly due to the poor weather this year, I've largely succeeded in making a start at least. Like most hobbies, one tends to learn by experience as well as by seeing others doing it so, with advice from some helpful colleagues, I made a start on trying to improve things.
My first job was to tidy the loft up as I wanted to change a significant aspect of the layout-from being a "C" shaped end to end to a large "0" shape. The main advantage with this was that it gave me a chance to "just run trains" and at the same time, run them in and check for better smooth running. It also meant that I had to change my (inadequate) fiddle yard and turn it into a freelance set of sidings (I call it Mills Sidings after the gentleman who sold me the cottages and ground frame etc!) with a bit of scenery. I needed only 3 more 4 foot baseboard panels so I made these myself using an existing spare one as a template.
My wiring was a mess to be honest and so I decided to keep it simple and just have a basic 2-way layout where 2 trains could be run simultaneously. (I'm not into DCC but if I was starting now I probably would be) I also used the down controller to control all the sidings but in future I might add a 3rd one for this. If and when we move house I was anxious to keep the layout as moveable as possible for a fixed layout and I needed to be able to disconnect the wiring by keeping it in sections to match the 4 foot baseboards. Skilled modellers would doubtless consider my wiring improvements to still be a rat's nest but at least I know that its almost under control now!
I had thought about adding a station or halt on the new section opposite Andoversford but then thought that I would leave it as simple countryside. Even simple countryside can take a lot of detail so I think I've enough to keep me going! If I was sticking to real life, the next station would have been the M&SWJR's Andoversford & Dowdeswell Station (which closed in 1923 when the GWR absorbed the M&SWJR) but the goods yard was retained. However, I decided against this and left the station out so the trains just travel along the countryside before magically entering Mills Sidings and then the prototypical Sandywell Park Tunnel before emerging west of Andoversford Station once more.
One thing that always looked wrong to me were the trees around Andoversford Station. When built the land around the station platforms was treated to the usual GWR practice of planting Corsican or Scots pine trees. I bought a couple of professionally made ones then decided to make the rest myself. I still need to make a few more. My trees are more representative of Andoversford in BR days but since I do run BR stock as well then it isn't too bad.
So, still lots to do, and, like most people, I'm sure that I'll have many "I can do better than this" moments but that's the delight of our hobby.
I attach some photos of the recent developments; again the flash tends to make things look much harsher than they appear under normal fluorescent light.
There is no photographic evidence that GWR ROD 2-8-0s were used on my line but I would have thought it most likely, especially during WWII. I think this Bachmann model is superb and a good example of how the GWR managed to uglify a quite attractive GCR design! My next locomotive should be a Hornby 42xx in GWR livery but it seems that many of the 2012 releases will now be in 2013 as usual. I'm also looking at the new Hornby model of 2807 which would go well with 2818 - the 28xx and 2884s are a super Hornby offering in my view.
Old 22nd December 2012, 15:14

Just a few more shots showing the Andoversford extension completed in 2012,firstly with the plasterwork landscaping done and then with gaugemaster grass matting before detailing started. I have also included a shot of the Mills Sidings area and a professionally built Grange, No 6848 Toddington Grange (of course!) based on an old Mainline Manor chassis which I had built by a professional (ie not me!) many years ago.
Old 30th December 2012, 15:42
Station Manager

Don't know how I have managed to miss this thread over the years. I can't find any posts by me.

What a supper layout! The wiring looks neat.

I always admire those who have the discipline to model a real locations. Keep posting the photos and I will try not to miss them in future.

Best wishes for 2013.

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 3rd February 2013, 13:44

A King at Andoversford!

Many years ago I bought a Lima King George V and, because the project to rescue 6023, King Edward II, was in the news at the time (the loco had recently been rescued from Barry Yard) I changed the identity of KGV to KEII and tried to tidy the loco up a bit to make it look a little more like the real thing. I'm not a fan of tender drive locos (for one thing the driving wheels often slip due to insufficient weight) but, with the addition of suitable weight in the boiler and a clean up and lubrication, the model now runs perfectly well on my layout. It doesn't like gradients much and is much less powerful than the 2-8-0s I have run on my layout and I had thought of selling it on as it doesn't fit into the layout pedigree at all (Kings of course had a very restricted route availability and my layout represents the GWR Red route as a maximum and even that was pushing it!)
I know that many modellers think that its about time a decent ready to run "King" was available, both the Hornby and Lima examples being a little "basic" when compared to some of the newer ready to run releases. However, I can't bear to part with it so its staying for now. It needs brake rigging detail and stuff but isn't too bad. I think the badge on the tender is not the correct GWR badge for the period but I'll need to check that. The safety valve bonnet is not good and I need to replace this with a metal one which won't be too difficult. Any one else had a go at improving their King? Any comments? (Apart from the obvious that I should have finished it in early BR Blue!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20121230-Lima KEII_2.jpg (97.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 3rd February 2013, 17:21

Looks a very nice layout and I love the way you are building it between the attic roof joists! I am sure you have hours of fun! I too would love to build a layout but I am limited to space at the moment and unfortunately I can not stand full height in my loft!!
Once fully retired I may decide to convert one of the bedrooms! If my dear wife will agree!!!
Have fun and all the best
Phil