11:27

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Andoversford Junction

Old 15th August 2009, 11:33

Andoversford Track Plan

Here are some images of the track plan. I was not able to replicate it exactly, especially at the eastern end where the MSWJR exchange sidings were, but I tried to keep to the original as much as I could. The caption to the photo shown in the 1st image is wrong; it should read 1957 not 1967. By 1967 much of the site had long gone! The plan which includes the tunnel shows that Sandywell bridge and tunnel mouth were at least 3 times further away than as represented on my layout but I don't have the room to replicate it exactly - unfortunately! The other 2 shots show 5555 arriving with a Kingham train and then the real thing with 5514. 5555 is a standard Bachmann loco and the actual locomotive did run over this line so another "easy purchase". Once I have got round to doing the backdrop I'm sure it will look much better and I really will need a lot more Scots pine trees!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Andoversford Layout Plan.jpg (196.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Map of Andoversford with tunnel.jpg (126.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 5555 arrives with a Kingham stopper 15 Aug 09.jpg (105.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Andoversford Stn & 5514.JPG (87.1 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Toddington Ted; 15th August 2009 at 11:40. Reason: spelling!
Old 15th August 2009, 20:59
Station Manager

Thank you for posting the track plans Ted. It looks like it was a busy junction in it's day. I see from the photos, what you mean about the track ballast. When I did my 'N' gauge layout, I used different colour ballast mixed together to get that dirty look. I also mixed ballast and loco ash for the area around the shed and at the starter signal in the stations. Like John, I painted the sides of the track but was lucky enough to find some old "Track Colour" in an old box of paint. It was a bit hard, but a drop of thiners aloud me to do almost all the track. I have now sold the 'N' gauge layout but not the rolling stock.
Old 4th October 2009, 21:26

Andoversford Update.

I have now purchased some suitably dark coloured ballast and it only remains for me to carefully remove all the loose clean stuff before spreading (carefully around the turnouts this time!) and securing the new (old looking) ballast. I think that this will make the layout look much more realistic. I just don't have the inclination to start it yet! As I have a track gang doing a bit of fettling at one location I shall probably leave that area with the "clean" ballast in place. I'm quite happy to model Andoversford Jct in BR days (there is rather more photographic evidence from this period as you might imagine) and, as I have one or two BR liveried items, I could not resist the temptation of adding a little Bachmann 45xx in BR lined black when I saw it offered for sale on Hattons website the other day as a "bargain". 45xxs were a common sight on the line (especially in the 1920s, 1930s and then again for some reason in the 1950s) so I really had to have one! Like all Bachmann locos that I have bought over the last couple of years, it runs beautifully and is a delight to the eye. I managed to find a couple of the "Blood and Custard" "Mainline" ex LMS coaches to run with it. There is photographic evidence to show that these coaches ran over the line so they fit in well. However, I must buy some ex GWR stock in BR livery too. I was pleased to find that the locomotive I chose was 4557 which actually ran over the MSWJR through Andoversford in BR days so that was another bonus! Now I shall have to stop fiddling and get the backdrops made and the ballasting redone!

I attach a couple of photos from a brief BR interlude (ideally all the buildings should be "daffodil yellow" rather than GWR "Light and Dark Stone" but I can't really duplicate them). I had to include 2807 as the real thing is now close to having its hydraulic boiler test! I apologise for the fuzzy shot with the Pannier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4557 Detail.jpg (102.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Pannier 9763 and 4557 at Andoversford.jpg (67.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 2807 pulls a full load of coal through Andoversford.JPGSmall.jpg (114.5 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Toddington Ted; 4th October 2009 at 21:29.
Old 24th December 2009, 13:42

Christmas is Here!

I was most impressed when I visited the Dapol website yesterday to see the latest 00 gauge wagon ordered by Cotswold Steam Preservation, owners of 2807. This was just what I needed for the layout (I can't "do" my own wagons!) so needless to say I've already ordered one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dapol Wagon Andoversford.jpg (80.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 7th January 2010, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddington Ted View Post
I was most impressed when I visited the Dapol website yesterday to see the latest 00 gauge wagon ordered by Cotswold Steam Preservation, owners of 2807. This was just what I needed for the layout (I can't "do" my own wagons!) so needless to say I've already ordered one!
Despite the dreadful weather, the wagon has now arrived and, with a real coal layer to hide the Dapol plastic "chunk", is now in the cattle dock siding at Andoversford. (I must get round to building the cattle dock fencing but its a bit cold in the loft at the moment!). From an historical point of view, H Finch's son William, had taken over the business by around 1906 when wagons started to appear in his name. The coal business at Andoversford survived after the line closed as can be seen in the attached (depressing)photo taken in 1967.

The Southern Interloper in the fiddle yard is 31813 which was a recent second-hand purchase. Again, I have been lucky with the number as the actual loco has been recorded as working the Andover to Cheltenham line (MSWJR) via Andoversford on more than one occasion. I'm not sure when Us and Ns started working this route from Andover but is was probably around 1952 until the MSWJR closed in 1961.
Old 8th January 2010, 10:59

I have an old Humbrol colour chart on how to mix track colour - anyone interested?. It is the best representation I think but a mix of matt red and matt black is pretty good.

Jack
Old 8th January 2010, 21:14
Station Manager

Hi Jack, is it possable to send me a copy of the chart?
Old 9th January 2010, 11:32

It is in a difficult form to copy but I could post it on this site later today OK?
Old 9th January 2010, 15:19

The Humbrol Chart is measured in droplets from an eye dropper or similar

Track Colour is listed as:

Humrol No.73 X 9 . No.150 X 6 No. 33 X 4. No. 34 X 1. These are the numbers from the old Humbrol range I assume that they are still ok but I can supply the colour names if required.

Jack
Old 9th January 2010, 22:06
Station Manager

Thanks Jack. I have a whole box of old Humbrol. I will have to check if I have them all. Any other intresting, well used mixes like paved and dirt roads?