15:46

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Do this now!!!!

Old 22nd June 2013, 11:32

Two things, really.
One, these scare stories are mainly political either by main parties trying to upset the "popularity" of others or by the authorities who have to do something which will bother someone, somewhere. Their tactic is simple. Declare to have to (for example) close 20, wait for the screams of indignation, then declare you now find you need close "only" 10. Everyone thinks how successful they have been in "saving" 10 and now "only" 10 will close. All along the the target was 10 but if that had been announced then the cries would have been to save all 10 !! It happens all too often.
Secondly, personally, I never add my name to any on-line petition however deserving. You just don't know who is interested in learning about your interests - and I'm not referring to GCHQ. I try to keep myself as far away from prying commercial eyes as possible and I'm not adding to their data bases. (GCHQ doesn't bother me in that respect as it is principally devoted to keeping me safe so I will abide by its actions.)

Old 22nd June 2013, 11:36

I see your point, but I can't see how letting anyone know you are interested in railways could be to your disadvantage ?
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:45

Done it this morning.
Old 22nd June 2013, 12:36

Done and dusted.
mickey
Old 22nd June 2013, 16:36

I have to admit that I was sceptical when I first heard about it and thought that it would never happen. Then I read the article in Steam Railway and the quotes from the man at the Science Museum Group - he was directly asked if this was an empty threat for political reasons and he said they believed the threat of closure to be a serious option. That said, they didn't have the full figures at that stage and therefore the cuts may not be as bad as feared, so it is good to read the quote from Ed Vaizey. I didn't mean to be alarmist by starting this thread and I think it's still worthwhile to add names to the petition (but of course don't do it if you feel strongly opposed to doing so!) Reading Ed Vaizey's quote does suggest that we have nothing to fear though - let's hope this is the case.

Tony
Old 22nd June 2013, 21:03

Last person I would believe is a politician.
Old 3rd July 2013, 08:53

Just seen this re museum closure threats.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23143064