15:40

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

I Know its been asked before

Old 18th December 2009, 11:51

Still using my Zero One and no plans to change.
John (G)

Old 18th December 2009, 19:23

Hi Gandalf,
Zero One? I bet you have a Sinclair C5 in your garage as well!
Seriously, I always thought the Z1 had big problems and died a death some time ago.
Old 18th December 2009, 21:23

Sadly no C5 but the Zero One still works fine,
Seems like the digital systems still get interference problems at rail joints so soldered joints are still needed. OK by today's standards I am limited to 16 locos simultaneously and is it 99 other things such as turnouts or lights but I never went that far using the old fashioned passing contact switches for points. I do have the full set of four controllers plugged together although never got the remote ones nor the led track display which must have been tied in with the 99 other bits. Still it is fun to run a quadruple header or the game of running two locos towards each other on the same track. My biggest problem was track continuity and affording the loco modules which although large by what I assume are today's sizes can still be fitted inside the little Hornby 'Nellies' and work reliably (got two of those plastered in Apple Green and will be the theoretical station pilots if I ever get the layout up in the roof done).
At the moment 7/8 scale steam outdoors is the occupation although with 6 inches of snow on the track it is reminicent of 1947 except I cannot call out the Army to shovel the snow away.
I remember that year well.
John (G)
Old 19th December 2009, 17:25

Thanks for the replies, I am looking at buying a 8x6 shed next year to start with and yes the eyes are getting worse (isn't age a scary thing) and think I will be looking at OO and going digital.

Thanks again
Old 19th December 2009, 19:07

Keep in touch mictop, and keep us posted on progress.

Regards, 62440.
Old 19th December 2009, 21:57

markpturner

i started out with a n gauge train set and slowly when the finances allowed i started to build it up starting with a base board and adding scenery /buildings etc now the layout is finished i happy with the end result if you have limited space n gauge is best
Old 20th December 2009, 06:44

On a Bob The Builder sort of note, you are going to have to insulate the Floor/roof and walls of your shed to at least 2 inches thick otherwise you will only be able to use it 8 months of the year! You might also consider what materials you use for the base boards and scenery as extremes of temperature and moisture can play havoc with the shape and line! You will need a good heater and a small dehumidifier as well. But dont it feel good to be in your own space!! Enjoy the new hobby and this forum.
Old 20th December 2009, 14:07

My layout is in a shed and I manage to get out in most weathers.

I find battened plywood is resistant to cold and damp. Have two layouts built this way and no distortion yet