12:34

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Dibnah discount code

Old 3rd May 2013, 15:08

Dibnah discount code

Not sure if this will be of interest to any of you but there's a 15% discount code available on all purchases in the Dibnah shop www.theviewfromthenorth.co.uk

The code is: loveDib_disc

Cheers

Old 3rd May 2013, 19:00

Firstly hello and welcome to the forum Brightershade. I am a great fan of Fred and have a good respect for the man. He was a fantastic ambassador for all things heritage especially anything and everything steam.
Good man
Enjoy the forum and best regards
Phil
Old 3rd May 2013, 21:37
Station Manager

Hello Brightershade and welcome to the railway Forum. Like Phil, I also am a fan of Fred.
Old 25th May 2013, 20:07

Fred re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Fox Phil View Post
Firstly hello and welcome to the forum Brightershade. I am a great fan of Fred and have a good respect for the man. He was a fantastic ambassador for all things heritage especially anything and everything steam.
Good man
Enjoy the forum and best regards
Phil
Hi Phil & Syd, your old message regarding Fred Dibner brought fond memories flowing back. I first met Fred when i was 19 years of age at a working mans club in Little Lever Nr Bolton, where he used to live he heard a group of us talking about Agecroft and Patricroft sheds,and he started to talk to us,by the way long before he became famous. We bought him 3 or 4 pints but he never offered one back,we later found out he was a miser,so no chance of a pint from him. However i became very friendly with him and he asked me what was the chance of a footplate ride,so i asked my driver Maz and he said OK, two weeks later he arrived at Manchester Exchange for our 5.10 Windermere Club train,all he required was a hat as he had his own overalls on, we were always booked for a 5X / jubilee so he had the thrill of express workings,at Preston he had someone to meet him,then again on at a later date on the 11.20pm Glasgow,as he said to me he always wanted to go on a double headed train,we were the train eng and Newton Heath men hooked on with a Black 5 as far as Preston,Feds taxi was waiting outside the station,we were 7 minutes late leaving Manchester yet on time at 12.03am at Preston, Freds remarks were exceptionally noisey and fast as we are usually in the late 80s across part of the L& Y,and of course the west coast mainline to Preston.
By the way their was a saying about Fred,when his wife said to him it is either me or his engines, he said i will have the engines,soon after,Divorce ,but wherever he may be God Bless him as he was very interesting to talk to and a very clever man in his own right.
Old 28th June 2013, 14:44

I love watching his old TV programmes. What a legend. Its hard to believe he passed away nearly 9yrs ago. I recently saw a clip where he demolished a large chimney the old fashioned way with paper, wood and fire. He was very skilled at what he did and its sad to think that a lot of those skills are dying out now.