23:25

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Modelling the LMS

Old 8th December 2010, 14:11

Modelling the LMS

Howdy everyone, just a quick overview of what i aim to do with my layout.

Its a small end to end layout in Ngauge set on the LMS in the period 1930 to 1935. Im having the first section a small whiskey distillery in the highlands. on site im having a fowler 3f jinty locomotive for shunting varioous wagons about for loading/unloading.

Im going to post a few photos in the next post of rolling stock i own at the moment, with what i intend to use them for. if anyone spots any mistakes please correct me as being young (only 21) didnt see any of these runnings.

also all info welcome too.

Old 8th December 2010, 22:38
Station Manager

Look forward to seeing your photos. Good to have another LMS modeller on the Forum.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 9th December 2010, 21:00
Station Manager

Hi Matt,
December 2010 'Model Rail Magazine' No. 150 has a Brewery Railway article with photos and a track layout. There is a shopping list for the track layout, but it is for '00' gauge. It would be a simply task to convert the shopping list to 'N' gauge. It is also set up so that you can extend the track if you so wished.
Old 9th December 2010, 21:39

hmmm I may have to acquire this issue. sounds like a good read. although i do already have my track plan but am sure this could also give an idea if i got the general idea. if not than i can infact change it rather easily as no track laid yet.

Thanks for the 'tip off'

Still having trouble loading photos, rather frustrating.
Old 19th December 2010, 00:16

Well its been a while since i posted here, and as of yet no photos of my stock so a list instead.
1 fowler 3f jinty, on shed shunter for moving about wagons onto and off site.
1 fowler 4f, will be used to bring wagons to and from the exchange 'siding' (if it can be called that O.o)
4 4 plank wagons, will have the barrel load in to symbolise full barrels of whiskey being transported to be 'raised' (for the evil deed of getting people drunk)
2 coal wagons, will have coal loads and bring coal for the small shed unit for which the on shed shunter is loaded, cleaned and oiled.
1 LMS goods brake van for the end of the 'rakes' when they leave.

So thats the list of what i have so far.

Today the real work starts, kept putting it off for ballasting reasons however now ive got the gaugemaster preballasted inlay o make it easier for me. the reason being is because my inclines are balsa wood if i had done the ballast loose with a spray to glue it down the balsa would have warped and the end result would have been, how do i put it.... not good lol.

depending on how far i get i may pop some photos up, i hope to have done all soldering to the track, and have at least half of it laid and ballasted. maybe even have some of the buildings temporarily 'planted' to give a feel of the layout.

Any things ive got wrong please point out so i can resolve it.
Old 19th December 2010, 17:44

Well todays been a waste. couldnt find my soldering iron so have had to put it off yet again. rather annoyed to say the least.
Old 23rd December 2010, 22:23

Well work today produced my soldering iron atlast, work will commense on christmas day i do believe. and now my budgies are getting better im all excited.
Old 24th December 2010, 07:31

Good luck with the layout

Well done for making it past that today!
Old 3rd November 2012, 20:49

dublo 46

Hi to all I am a fairly new modeller and have now settled on LMS as my selected theme for my layout. The size of my layout will be approx 8 metres by 5 metres with walk around access on half of one end one full end and one full side. I will submit some pictures for general comment. It is my intention to go all DCC and put chips in all my Loco's eventually so comments on the best chips to use would be most appreciated. All so my layout will include some of the original DUBLO three rail trains these will also be converted to DCC running on a seperate tracks of course. These where my original toys from years gone by. Thats all for now. dublo 46
Old 3rd November 2012, 22:14
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublo 46 View Post
Hi to all I am a fairly new modeller and have now settled on LMS as my selected theme for my layout. The size of my layout will be approx 8 metres by 5 metres with walk around access on half of one end one full end and one full side. I will submit some pictures for general comment. It is my intention to go all DCC and put chips in all my Loco's eventually so comments on the best chips to use would be most appreciated. All so my layout will include some of the original DUBLO three rail trains these will also be converted to DCC running on a seperate tracks of course. These where my original toys from years gone by. Thats all for now. dublo 46
Look forward to more news of your layout.

I use quite a variety of chips: Hornby, Bachmann, TCS and Zimo (including one sound). I have found both the Hornby and the Bachmann Chips fine for steam locos. No problems. Basically I go for the chip that fits. Older locos need chips with ahigher current rating.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.