21:26

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Help with layout design

Old 4th December 2008, 22:49

If you're happy to run shorter trains then you should have more space for extra sidings etc. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Old 4th December 2008, 23:39

Well i dont think its a major issue, i did have a play test with a few longer trains however it just tookup to much of the board and made the layout look too cramped. I will have a play XtrakCad and develop he idea abit.
Old 5th December 2008, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
..................I will have a play XtrakCad and develop he idea abit.
Oh for the joys of modern technology. I'm still using good old paper and pencil
Old 5th December 2008, 17:20

well i think pencil and paper has its advantages! the program is ok however i have no idea how to use damn flexi track in it, the crossover according to the program wont be able to actually do what i want...
Old 5th December 2008, 20:51

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...054/Mark-1.jpg

Well heres a rough idea of what i might do, i do feel however im not using some of the space in the greatest of way
Old 5th December 2008, 21:44
Station Manager

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Forum.

It looks as if your layout design is beginning to come together. I think you are wise to limit train length to 4 coaches. I have done the same with my new layout (See my thread the Will Valley Railway.) The station I have shown the plan for is the branch off a branch and would generally only receive two coach loco hauled trains although there is scope for longer DMU trains.

Once you have your baseboards I think it is worth doing what I have done, laying any old sectional track you might have plus use the full size Peco drawing of their various points. It is amazing how your ideas change as you shuffle everything around and hopefully it might avoid some fasle starts!

I also have the rest of the layout drawn out full size on Wallpaper backing paper, again using the Peco drawings and some of my sectional track. It also means you can put some stock and buildings on which further shows how it might look.

Anyway keep sharing your ideas (as I will be doing with my Will Valley thread)

Good Luck and have fun.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 5th December 2008, 21:57

Hey thanks for the tips John, i will certainly keep those in mind for when i get started over the weekend, it is a shame that i cant get away with the larger coaches but i guess on the brightside its going to save me abit extra cash I did come across a layout design someone suggested to me some time ago (when i was living in london) and actually thought it would make far better use of the space

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/3285/10x6ql3.jpg

I dont think it would need all that much adjustment and might suit my plains far better! Im not so sure about the second layer however
Old 5th December 2008, 22:17
Station Manager

Looks quite a good plan and don't be put off by the second layer as long as you don't make the incline too steep, My new layout is planned to include two layers. It adds more interest. Many layouts are level which makes them less interesting.

As far as four coach trains are concerned I think they are long enough to creat the illusion of length without causing too many problems with run rounds, head shunts etc.

Layout design, I think, is all about creating illusions to try and make things look bigger than they are. Trains disappearing for a bit help this.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 6th December 2008, 12:29

Well i might give it a try, i think last time me and my granddad tried a 2nd layer (was many years ago) most of locos we had were tender driver and just couldnt coupe with a 2nd layer. If i do a 2nd layer i will certainly have to alter that one abit as that would come over the lift up section.

You certainly make a good point about illusion aspect which i have noticed when going to exhibition, cheers for the input John

Well tomorrow will be a busy day! now just have to make a list of what extra track i need!
Old 6th December 2008, 15:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...054/Mark-1.jpg

Well heres a rough idea of what i might do, i do feel however im not using some of the space in the greatest of way
Mark, I think that this is basically a good plan. My only concern is that the crossover between the upper two terminus tracks is positioned so that only the shortest of OO locos could be used and the crossover between the lower two terminus tracks is even shorter.
As you are having four terminus tracks I would also suggest that you have them facing in opposite directions. This would mean that a train could leave one pair of terminus tracks, do several circuits of the main loop before coming to rest in the other pair of terminus tracks. After running round it could then return.............I think it is always better if a train actually has somewhere to go, that's why so many modellers incorporate branch lines into their layouts and incorporate hidden storage sidings into their continuous loops.
As regards effective use of space I don't think it does too bad except for the area below the main station although you do need to avoid overcrowding and leave some space for scenic detail.
A possible way of utilising this area would be to expand the turntable and it's tracks into a proper engine shed area with plenty of storage space for your collection of locos which will inevitably grow over the years
Hope you don't mind but I have taken your original plan and added my suggestions to give you some idea of what I mean....sorry about my poor quality graphic skills.
Mark-1_amended.jpg