21:02

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Merseyrail Southport Station (Chapel Street)

Old 13th November 2007, 16:44

Merseyrail Southport Station (Chapel Street)

I was up in Southport today and noticed that the station is being given a compleate makover inclung the replacement / refurbishment of the roof also noticed that MtoGo shop is now open but dnot compleatly finsshed though.

Noticiabley with the roof undergoing refurbihment it is quite Dark and gloomy on the platforms even with the lights on as it is surprising how mutch light is brought in by the roof no matter how dirty it is.

It is not before time Southport Stn had a make over as i belive that the drains have been prety bad for a while and the worst part of the Station affected by the problem which is th e British Transport Police Office.

Its belved that this will move now to the former sight of the restraunt forming a well deserved & lalong waited brand new office come Police Station for the BTP at Souhtport even a cell or two is thoght to be included for those people who don't behave them selfs on the trains that includes the fare evaders.

Just can't wait to see the Station compleatly finished wich would probably be sometime in 2008 if all goes according to plan.

Old 14th November 2007, 17:49

It is good to see a lot of stations now gettng refurbishment, earlier this year some on the Manc Airport line got refurbished, and I look forward to seeing what I hope will be a more intercity terminal looking Manchester Victoria . I think though Northern needto do somework on the ineriors of their 150 and 156 units.
Old 15th November 2007, 15:03

Agree with you there david about the interiors of the Northern 150 & 156 Units but Look at the ex Arriva Trains North East 150's interor Still in the origional 1980's brown walls etc but the seat covers have been repalced but yet all still in very good condition.

Just shows how poor quality the refurbishment was on the ones done by First North Western which is one of the reson's i don't like them.

And Look at the ex Scotrail and Valley Lines class 150 interiors amazing how the quality compares plus the engines on the ex Arriva N/E (150's) ones and the ATW ones mwhich are mutch quiter the the Northern ones and seem beter at pulling off.

The same goes for the 156's most of the ex N/W express ones have decent seats but the carpets are hevily soiled and the ex ATN ones the seats are hevily faded but yet the carpets are ok but yet why they use them on Local Stopping Services is beyond me just penny pinching if you ask me.
Old 16th November 2007, 17:26

All well at leats Northern are no longer alone with what was their image problem with the units. Now there are a whole load of new franchises with it .
Old 30th January 2008, 00:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_142 View Post
I was up in Southport today and noticed that the station is being given a compleate makover inclung the replacement / refurbishment of the roof also noticed that MtoGo shop is now open but dnot compleatly finsshed though.

Noticiabley with the roof undergoing refurbihment it is quite Dark and gloomy on the platforms even with the lights on as it is surprising how mutch light is brought in by the roof no matter how dirty it is.

It is not before time Southport Stn had a make over as i belive that the drains have been prety bad for a while and the worst part of the Station affected by the problem which is th e British Transport Police Office.

Its belved that this will move now to the former sight of the restraunt forming a well deserved & lalong waited brand new office come Police Station for the BTP at Souhtport even a cell or two is thoght to be included for those people who don't behave them selfs on the trains that includes the fare evaders.

Just can't wait to see the Station compleatly finished wich would probably be sometime in 2008 if all goes according to plan.
Hello there, although I live in Toronto canada i was born in Southport and go back yearly. So...my question is who is exactly responsible for the upkeep of Chapel St station and any suggestions as to whom i could contact?
Any help would be appreciated,
Jill
Old 30th January 2008, 14:53

Well Jill, They call them selfs Network Rail previousley Railtrack But yet i think Merserail Electrics do seem to have a bit to do with it along with Merseytravel they all seem to work together.

But one dosent know what the other one does put them all to gether and we are still non the wiser.

But my advise is to contact Merseyrail as they are the Operator but i would send a letter as email or telephone communication between Network Rail & Railoperators isnt mutch good.