17:45

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Unconfirmed reports that the Royal Train may visit Cheshire

Old 28th June 2008, 14:15
Station Manager

No doubt the government will tax bio-fuel up to the hilt. People will just feel 'whats the use of changing'. Unless it is a lot cheaper than normal fuel, people will be slow to change. Of cause the cost of food will go up even more as more farms scrap normal food farming for the new money making bio-fuel crops. Us poor workers will lose out again.
'I'll get off my high horse now'.

Old 28th June 2008, 18:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghut View Post
Nope, they have been running a 67 on the stuff.

Linky here....http://greenfuels.co.uk/Info/press-releases.aspx
Thanks for that Foggy. I obviously missed seeing that report.
Old 28th June 2008, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011 View Post
.............Of cause the cost of food will go up even more as more farms scrap normal food farming for the new money making bio-fuel crops...................
Producing biofuel at the expense of food is totally unethical. We will have to be very careful how biofuel production develops.
Old 28th June 2008, 21:56

I love the irony in touting bio-fuel as a clean energy efficent alternative by using it to run an entire train for one person, as an indulgence.

Had they used it to power a Class 185 and stuck the Prince in Standard or even better Standing class, I'd have been impressed.
Old 30th June 2008, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
Even if the Queen alights at Knutsford she will more than likely rejoin the Royal Train somewhere else.
There would still be the issue of the train needing to wait somewhere so it isn't blocking the line. Northwich would be the obvious choice. However, that station's in no condition for a Royal Visit.

Quote:
It seems strange that there is nothing in her diary during the dates of the show which are 23-27 July.
I did say 'unconfirmed reports' in the title - that's why. Local papers are quite often short of news and will print speculation or audacious plans that haven't got any chance of being implemented.
Old 30th June 2008, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains
Even if the Queen alights at Knutsford she will more than likely rejoin the Royal Train somewhere else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hstudent View Post
There would still be the issue of the train needing to wait somewhere so it isn't blocking the line. Northwich would be the obvious choice. However, that station's in no condition for a Royal Visit.
I was thinking that the Queen might rejoin at somewhere like Wilmslow or Macclesfield with the train being stabled in the Manchester/Stockport area during the day. Even if it was stabled at Hooton overnight it could still drop her off at Knutsford, run on to Altrincham to change tracks before returning to Northwich for stabling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains
It seems strange that there is nothing in her diary during the dates of the show which are 23-27 July.
Quote:
I did say 'unconfirmed reports' in the title - that's why. Local papers are quite often short of news and will print speculation or audacious plans that haven't got any chance of being implemented.
Maybe not but just the thought of it has kept this thread going for two pages
Old 1st July 2008, 09:42

The papers actually just added a slightly differently worded story to their website http://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/n...at_Knutsford_/

It appears from that story that Network Rail's contractors told them the Queen was going to come. However, maybe Network Rail told their contractors that the Queen would come to ensure they completed the work within the allocated time to a high standard.
Old 1st July 2008, 12:17

I never realised we still had a Royal Train,
Thought it had gone along with the Royal Yacht (hospital ship), Queens Flight (RAF) in order to finance Blairforce One. However if this train should be used more frequently instead of planes and heliocopeters then perhaps the tracks might get more funding and even more passegers since 'If it is good enough for Her, then it is good enough for me'.
John.
Old 25th July 2008, 13:15

Surprisingly, despite it not being listed in the Royal appointments The Royal Train was at the Manchester bound platform at Knutsford station between about 12:00 and 13:00 being hauled by a Class 67 EWS engine. I can't confirm that the Queen was on it. There were no crowds at the station.

The 1205 Chester to Manchester service was held up for 25 minutes between it's Greenbank and Mobberley timing points as a consequence.
Old 25th July 2008, 18:51

Quote:
Surprisingly, despite it not being listed in the Royal appointments The Royal Train was at the Manchester bound platform at Knutsford station between about 12:00 and 13:00 being hauled by a Class 67 EWS engine. I can't confirm that the Queen was on it. There were no crowds at the station.

The 1205 Chester to Manchester service was held up for 25 minutes between it's Greenbank and Mobberley timing points as a consequence.
I haven't seen any reports of the Royal Train visiting Knutsford today but the "Northern Belle" Pullman train was due to arrive from Cardiff at 12:00 and the "Orient Express" Pullman train was due to arrive from London at 12:58.