14:11

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

The Isle of Man

Old 26th June 2010, 15:45
Station Manager

The Isle of Man

Chaps i am planing a trip over to the Isle Of Man some time soon,has any one been over and could you point me in the right direction for a hotel,or b&b in the Douglas area i could use,also do you have any good photo spots i could get to by public transport while i am there.

Thanks for any info and all the best,Ian

Old 26th June 2010, 16:14
Station Manager

Afternoon Ian, there are plenty of places to stay in Douglas and the best way to get around is by tram and bus. I can`t help you with photo spots but the people on the railway will be glad to help you with that one. How are you getting there ?
Old 26th June 2010, 21:15
Station Manager

Not too sure yet but did look at flying but i have found that a bit too much to be honest lowest fares i have found at the moment is over £100,each from Brimingham,so i am looking at staying in Liverpool in say a cheap b&b over night and then catching the ferry first thing in the morning.

Getting there as early as possable so i can dump my overnight bags in my hotel and then get out and take some photos

Oh also forgot to ask in my first post where is the depot and can you get to view it from anywere or can you if you ask can you get round to have a look.

All the best,Ian
Old 26th June 2010, 22:45
Station Manager

Evening Ian,
If I was you I would get the train to Lancaster and change there and then get the train to Heysham Port and then get on the Ferry it is the Ben Mi Chree to Douglas the fare is very reasonable for foot passengers it takes 3hours 45 minutes so you can have a good rest on your way over. You will have to find out the train times, I know that Virgin Pendolinos run every hour to Lancaster from your neck of the woods. Another alternative is flying from Blackpool.
Old 27th June 2010, 07:50
Station Manager

Thanks for that,just had a look on networkrails site for train times but it seems there's only one train a day to and from Heysham Port,unless i am not reading it right,but each time i put in my details the same train details are shown

So i think i will be getting the ferry from Liverpool,that takes 2hours and 30minutes,so i can get a rest on the way over.
And it will be a little better for my travel arrangments.

Thanks for the info,all the best,Ian