00:38

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

My layout

Old 13th June 2009, 16:16

My layout

Hi,

Just thought I'd post a couple of photos of my N Gauge layout. I started it in January this year and as you can see it's very much a work in progress. It's changed three times since I started but I think I'll stick with this one for now. The others were rather complex as I wanted to include bridges, tunnels, loops and several sidings. They suffered from running problems and nothing seemed to work properly. This layout is much better and probably rather simple but it works just fine. You can probably see where the last layout was from the painted area on the righthand side.

As you can probably see it is in a garden shed and measures 5' 7" by 3' 4". There is the potential to add another 4' by 3' down the right hand side.

The top of the hill comes off to allow access for any possible derailment in the tunnel. I'm slowly working my way from left to right with the scenery. The points are still manual although I fancy trying the new Pecolectrics system I saw in last months Railway Modeller.

Buildings are mainly Kestrel Design with a couple from Peco. Vehicles are P and D Marsh and Oxford Collectables. My engines all came from E-bay, except for a Dapol 4-4-0 M7, which was a birthday present. Rolling stock is mainly Peco kits built and painted by myself.

I'l post some more photos later.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Layout1.JPG (121.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Layout2.JPG (121.1 KB, 56 views)

Old 13th June 2009, 18:36

Great stuff Alex. It's good to have another N Gauge modeller on the forum. The scenery is looking good and it's certainly a sensible idea to provide some kind of access to the tunnel. No matter how good your trackwork is sooner or later you will have a derailment.
Look forward to following your progress.
Incidentally, what is the new Pecolectrics system?
Old 13th June 2009, 20:13

Hi,

It's supposed to be an easier way to wire up your layout. It involves a Turnout Switch Module (PL-50) in which you push down a plunger, insert the wire from your turnout motors and release the plunger to lock the wire in place. PL-26 switches slot into inserts on the module and once you wire it up to your power supply, away you go.

As I'm not too hot on electrics it sounds like a good idea to me. I only have 4 points on my layout so I may give it a go.

Some more piccies of my layout. The wagons are Peco chassis and I've scratch built the bodywork.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wagon1.JPG (124.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg wagon2.JPG (138.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 13th June 2009, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Crawford View Post
Hi,

It's supposed to be an easier way to wire up your layout. It involves a Turnout Switch Module (PL-50) in which you push down a plunger, insert the wire from your turnout motors and release the plunger to lock the wire in place. PL-26 switches slot into inserts on the module and once you wire it up to your power supply, away you go.

As I'm not too hot on electrics it sounds like a good idea to me. I only have 4 points on my layout so I may give it a go.

Some more piccies of my layout. The wagons are Peco chassis and I've scratch built the bodywork.

Alex
Thanks Alex.
I know a lot of people are put off modelling because of the electrics so anything that makes life easier must be a good idea.
I like the wagons. Nice conversions and the weathering really finishes them off.
Old 15th June 2009, 21:50

Hi John,

I had a look through your website at the weekend. I must say I am very impressed by your layout. You must be very pleased with the way it is turning out.

I see you have a similar problem to myself. 'If I change that and move that over there, or add this here....'

Another photo, this time a brake van. My ficticious railway has the company colour of yellow, although other railway companies can be seen from time to time.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brake1.JPG (81.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 16th June 2009, 09:44

Another nice paint job Alex. What type of paint do you use?
Old 16th June 2009, 19:03

Hi John,

I use good old Humbrol enamels. My method for painting hasn't changed much since I did wargaming many years ago.

Undercoat wagon in black (or dark grey if the finished colour is yellow or red). A heavy dry brush with a darker shade (ie dark blue) of the top coat follows, then dry brush on the top coat (ie light blue). A final dry brush with either white or light grey to pick out the detail. Pick out any further details such as hand rails with a fine brush. Then the entire wagon gets a wash of black to pick out the plank detail.

Sometimes it works, somtimes it doesn't but that's the fun of doing it yourself. I don't have any bought RTR wagons yet but if I do get some then they will get that heavily weathered look.

Alex
Old 16th June 2009, 20:41
Station Manager

Your wagon look great Alex. Very impressive.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 16th June 2009, 20:59

Quote:
Hi John,

I use good old Humbrol enamels. My method for painting hasn't changed much since I did wargaming many years ago.
I also use Humbrol enamels although recently I have started to use Tamiya and Vallejo acrylics. I like the smooth finish that these acrylics generally give and being able to wash brushes in water but I still think enamels give a more durable paint job.

Quote:
Undercoat wagon in black (or dark grey if the finished colour is yellow or red). A heavy dry brush with a darker shade (ie dark blue) of the top coat follows, then dry brush on the top coat (ie light blue). A final dry brush with either white or light grey to pick out the detail. Pick out any further details such as hand rails with a fine brush. Then the entire wagon gets a wash of black to pick out the plank detail.

Sometimes it works, somtimes it doesn't but that's the fun of doing it yourself. I don't have any bought RTR wagons yet but if I do get some then they will get that heavily weathered look.

Alex
Your weathering technique seems to work really well Alex. I just wished I had the courage to try it out on some of my locos and rolling-stock. Even Swiss trains aren't always clean
Old 16th June 2009, 21:35

John H-T,

Thanks for your comments. The only part I don't relish at the moment is painting the figures. I have a couple of hundred on the 'to do' pile. I think for these I'll use a light grey for the undercoat. This should bring out the colours more than a black undercoat would.

John,

You'll never know until you try. Don't you have an old engine you don't really use? I have a brand new Dapol 4-4-0 M7 that's just crying out to get down and dirty.

A photo of my clean M7. The board joins will soon disappear.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine1.JPG (128.2 KB, 15 views)