12:30

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

The Fairbourne railway.

Old 3rd October 2010, 19:58

The Fairbourne railway.

I've had some great times at this little railway, adn is great for getting to and from the beach with its handy halts along its length.

http://www.fairbournerailway.com/

The stock is very comfy and the scenery is breathtaking. it has in the past been utilised fro a replacement service for Arriva trains Wales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fairbourne_train.JPG
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Beach_Road.jpg

The railway is very handy to coincide with Cambrian main line steam trips and the carriages offer a great moving vantage point from which to photograph the train. Different views and often you can keep a decent pace despite the railway's diminutive size.
When I visited The railway was still called the Fairbourne and Barmouth railway, so was around the time of 2004/5, so a detailed description I cannot give you, only that the locos are stunnign half size replicas of their 2" gauge counterparts, such as a version of Lynton and Barnstaple Lew, named Yeo.

If youre in the area, do have a visit. On a fine day you won't want to leave.

Old 3rd October 2010, 22:57

Location: Lancashire (but the GPO will insist on telling me I live in Merseyside)
It's a great place for steam down there in mid Wales. I might go there again next year when the main line stuff is running. I'd have gone to the Fairbourne myself last week but it wasn't open midweek, likewise the Corris Rly. I really enjoyed riding the Talyllyn again, and the V of R was far better than anticipated with some stunning scenery. I'd recommend that ride to you SFE having read your comment under my photo in the gallery of Prince of Wales

KEN
Old 4th October 2010, 08:08

I've just returned home from a holiday in Barmouth, I travelled on the Fairbourne Railway for the first time. The locomotive on duty that day was Sherpa, it was an enjoyable experience.
I also took my first trip on the VoR and was astounded by the immaculate condition of the locomotives and stock as well as the stunning views.
Back to work today, never mind.
Old 4th October 2010, 17:41

Thanks for your comments chaps.
The Vor and corris railway are some of the few welsh lines I have neveer visited and have added them both to my must list. I used to go on welsh steam tours in my caravan and sometimes staying in a lovely guest house in Criccieth, which I think is by far the best place to stay, simply becuase it is so beautiful. It is devoid of steam, apart form the Cambrians, but it makes up for it.