11:49

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

helmshore

Old 11th August 2010, 14:31

Thumbs up helmshore

This query concerns an active thead on a Local History web-site.

The mystery centres on a two foot ? guage length of track running on part of the old track-bed of the Ramsbottom to Accrington line at Helmshore.

One poster has stated that it was known as the " navarac " line and was built for hobby related purposes whilst another theory is that had a connection with the local mining industry.

Any ideas or an explanation ( I'm counting on 26B here ) would be warmly appreciated.

curtis.

Old 11th August 2010, 14:57

Hi Curtis,

Sorry I don't know much more than you already do, I have heard though it is a relatively newish line set up by somebody as a hobby, The guage is in doubt more likely to be measured in inches rather than in feet.
Also heard it refered to as the navarac line which if you turn it round spells caravan,and from what I have been told there is a few of those parked up nearby.
I'am at the shed tomorrow(fitting superheater elements lovely!!!!) so I will ask a couple of people to see what more I can discover about it.

Cheers John
Old 11th August 2010, 15:49

Thanks John.

Regards - curtis - have a nice day tomorrow.
Old 20th August 2010, 14:04

Hi Curtis,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, and I'am afraid the only snippet of information I could come up with was just to confirm it is a private railway on private property and just seems to be there for the landowers own use.

Cheers John
Old 20th August 2010, 19:03

I was looking for property in the area in 1979 when Helmshore staion was up for sale. When my wife and I viewed it there was the original platform in fair condition but all track had been lifted. The plot included about 300 yards of trackbed and at that time there was no miniature gauge railway there at that time although it was an unfulfilled dream of mine.