20:27

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

HiGH Railways is the next big jump

Old 13th February 2015, 01:20

Post HiGH Railways is the next big jump

Hi

I am very pleased and glad to be here and get in touch with people interested into my proposition. Sorry if my English isn't fluent but it remains understandable.

In 24 December, i have published an online document titled Safe, secure and Smart Railways of the future. I was searching for a technology to resolve common problems linked to railroads and its vehicles at once. The problems i have studied was :
  • The problem of collisions phenomena and its deadliest results.
  • Slow trains speeds in bad weather or closer to urban areas to prevent accidents.
  • Heaviest trains weights causes consumption of huge energy on startup and difficult decelerations.

From my perspective and with respect to all of your points of views, those problems are all linked to each others because of a common barrier. This barrier is the railway architecture itself.

Trains are getting more and more faster and comfortable, but what about people living and doing activities closer from those railroads ? Aren't they in continuous danger, theirs children and animals as well ? How many time train or tram stops because of either a collision or the existence of a natural obstacle such as inundation making hundreds of people who are traveling inside train or tram wasting theirs times waitings ? and finally why train has to weight 400 tonnes to carry 400 passengers that all theirs total weights is just about 40 tonnes ? that remain us to Confucius proverb [not use a cannon to kill a mosquito].

For that reasons, i have provided the idea of building railways that provides the following :
  • Resolve the problems of collisions, so they will be no more danger to crossing objects being humans, vehicles or animals. No more need to build safe crossing passengers and spend even more money to build walls to prevent people from getting to the rail track.
  • Resolve the problem of natural obstacles, such as inundations, snows, earthquakes that prevents train and tram from continuing its travel normally.
  • Of course, it also time to think about the construction of more lightweight trains that weights less tons and consumes less energy as well.

The solution to that problems exists, it is called HiGH Railways.

A HiGH Railway is a railroad which is elevated from the ground at a level that allows major objects to move freely under it. So you can imagine in a HiGH Railway, people and cars can always cross under it and trains, trams are moving on top of rails as normal.
The benefits of such architecture is that it open the doors into new technologies and resolve significant issues in traffic safety and quality such as Traffic Jam.

A HiGH Railway guarantee zero collisions, zero casualties amount crossing objects and allow faster trains even in urban areas.

So if you are an individual or company which is interested into HiGH Railway, do not hesitates to contact me by email highrailways@outlook.com, also i am glad to respond to your questions, in case you have by email as well.

Best Regards

The author: A. Ouysse

Old 13th February 2015, 18:46

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

Yes in the UK we started doing this over 150 years ago. Some of the first routes into London from the South East were built on brick arches.

See the Wiki page on the London & Greenwich Railway...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_...ailway_Viaduct

It is of course very expensive.
Old 13th February 2015, 20:58

I guess you have heard all about George Bennie's Railplane in the 1930s?

The idea was that passengers would travel in the overhead fast monorail system whilst much slower goods trains would continue to use the lines underneath.

An evolutionary "Dead-end." Aeroplanes are much better at this sort of thing.

See this article from the Daily Mail Newspaper in 2012.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...penniless.html

Is it just coincidence that this thread has been put in the railway modelling thread?!

Last edited by Toddington Ted; 13th February 2015 at 20:59. Reason: extra
Old 15th February 2015, 19:51

Hi

Thank you both for your replies.

There is even more elevated railways approaches in the following Wikipedia page.

All of there structures as bridges, they have a common issue is that they are very expansive and because of that they are built in short distances mostly in heavy density of populations. Bridges are very high, and it is known in the civil engineering that mush the structure is higher, mush it has to be more thicker, more stronger this needs more volumetric materials so expansive building. So this approach of bridge is not a solution for entire railroad for hundreds of miles.

The approach of HiGH Railways resolve the problem of expansiveness, it is possible to build longer railroads up to hundreds of miles with a minimal possible costs. That is because the lifting columns which are made of reinforced concrete as example are positioned first during the long path, those lifting columns or (Lc) has to be 2.3 meters in high in general, then the rails will be mounted on top of these columns.
The lifting columns will be built in a factory and transported by trucks into the way path. The costs of production of those lifting columns can be calculated for the following scenario :

Lifting column dimensions (x,y,z) in meters : (0.5, 1.7, 2.3)
Volume of Lc : 0.5*1.7*2.3 = 1.95 m3 (meter cube)
Distance between two successive Lc : 10 meters
Type of used materials : Reinforced concrete synthetic fibers
Price of used materials : 24.50 Euro/m3
Typical resistance : 60 N/mm2
Normal resistance toward weights : (0.5*1.7*1000*1000)*60 = 51 millions Newtons
Price of one lifting column : 1.95 * 24.5 = 47.775 Euro

For 100 kilometers, we need on average 9524 lifting columns so the cost of them would be : 455,009 Euros

This is reasonable and not expansive. A resistance of 50 millions newtons is more than enough for heavy trains.

The secret behind that are those special cheap reinforced concretes which provides very powerful features

Best Regards

Last edited by HighRailways; 16th February 2015 at 01:56. Reason: Calculate the volume of Lc

Tags
high railways