13:33

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Newby with an axe to grind ..

Old 22nd July 2011, 13:57

Newby with an axe to grind ..

Hi, Born in an LMS town, Early part of my life living with half mile of an LMS station ..

Not really interested in, but take note of, other companies Steam engine stock ...

My big grouch is that while GWR and LNER preserved locos are almost invariably in company livery, LMS almost never is, and as for the main constituent of the LMS (LNWR), I am not aware of one ..

Are the owners ashamed of their loco's heritage????

Last edited by LMSman; 22nd July 2011 at 17:49.
Old 22nd July 2011, 15:23

Hi LMSman, Welcome to the forum.
The LMS kept their liveries when the railways were nationalised. Freight engines in general were plain black. The express engines were maroon, green or blue at different times. Passenger engines were lined black.
If you look at the preserved LMS locos, they are nearly all in original livery. Some have appeared in unconventional liveries due to owner preference. If you paid £50,000+ for a loco, you would paint it however you wanted!
Old 22nd July 2011, 15:37
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum LMSman.

Hardwick, Cornwall, Columbine and (I think) the Ramsbottom 0-4-0ST are all in LNWR livery. I think that the Coal Tank will be in LNWR livery when it returns later this year, which only leaves the Super D in BR Livery. The new build Bloomer's Tender at Tyseley is in early LNWR Green.

All the NRM Midland Locos (one of the other major constituents of the LMS) are in Midland Crimson Lake Livery.

L&Y livery is well represented as well, in fact I can't think of one L & Y loco that isn't in L & Y Livery.

All the Scottish Locos are currently in pre grouping livery. Looking forward to seeing CR 828 in Blue at Severn Valley in September.

Could do with more locos in LMS Livery but the NRM Crab looks a treat in Crimson Lake, as does Leander and Princess Elizabeth. However Royal Scot looks wrong in red!

Anyway the main thing is we still have them all!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:44

I am the first to admit I am not devoted to steam .. but I would rather watch one working than ride in a carriage behind one .. in my first post, I did say 'livery', not 'colour' .. I hate seeing the black 5s, and Stanier tanks etc in BR livery with the Lion on a Unicycle plastered on them, especially with the build plate contradicticting what it says on the side ..

Yes, BR is part of their heritage, and maybe one or two should show that, but BR built locos of LMS design (should there be any preserved, I don't know) should be sufficient to show the BR links.

I am glad to be corrected about the LNWR etc engines in their correct schemes .. As I said I am not a ''buff' (more buffer at my age) and do not study the subject, but if I am in the area of a steam hauled line, I like to go and take a few photos, and breathe in the pollution .. was at SVR the otherday and went round the engine house (Birthday present from SWMBO) .. what a pity they , and others, do not have meane to turn a loco round, so that it always hauls the right way round.

I also have a little disquiet at seeing them (all preserved) in near pristine condition .. my memories are of dirty, working engines and stock, running against all the odds during the war .. I remember seeing Queen Elizabeth in the sidings at Crewe in August 1945 .. Rusted and and uncared for, but still doing the job. I know a preserved loco has to be immaculate, or as near as can be achieved, but it makes them big boys' toys, not the drivers of industry that they were built to be.

Years ago I had a little Vincent, ridden day in, day out, very little maintenance and really scruffy .. at our village fete one year we had the local Classic Car & Motorcycle club put on a display, and for the hell of it I took my bike over too, and with their permission, put it in the display area .. got more attention than all the others put together !!

Anyway, gripe over, keep up the good work and get those 4XXXX numbers and livery put right.

Last edited by LMSman; 22nd July 2011 at 17:53.
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
If you paid £50,000+ for a loco, you would paint it however you wanted!
Yes, but I am not sure you would have the right to exhibit it as such.
Old 22nd July 2011, 17:58

Nice to see a forthright opinion or two on here
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:11

Location: Lancashire (but the GPO will insist on telling me I live in Merseyside)
The Crab at East Lancs is due out this year in LMS crimson lake, also at East Lancs Black 5 5337 is due to be painted in LMS livery. I' d like to see one or two more 5s in LMS seing that there are so many in steam at the moment, but I agree completely with the earlier comment about the people that put in the money and time have the right to paint 'em however they wish.
I can confim that the Ramsbottom 0-4-0ST that John HT mentioned is in early LNWR lined green at the Ribble Steam Rly

KEN
Old 22nd July 2011, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMSman View Post
Yes, but I am not sure you would have the right to exhibit it as such.
If I had my own steam loco I would paint it whatever colour I liked.

Not to say it would be pink with green spots though.

I WOULD have the right to exhibit it, and to say otherwise is churlish.

I accept your opinion but heartily disagree with you.
Old 22nd July 2011, 20:03

LMSman - "I also have a little disquiet at seeing them (all preserved) in near pristine condition .. my memories are of dirty, working engines and stock, running against all the odds during the war .. I remember seeing Queen Elizabeth in the sidings at Crewe in August 1945 .. Rusted and and uncared for, but still doing the job. I know a preserved loco has to be immaculate, or as near as can be achieved, but it makes them big boys' toys, not the drivers of industry that they were built to be."

Hi LMSman
I believe there to be a huge difference with how locomotives were cared for during and post war years. Yes they were uncared for and unloved due in the main to a serious lack of cash. Our great railways were in decline!
Today by comparison our locomotives are well cared for, and quite rightly due to the enormous cost of restoration, not to mention the amount of hours people have given freely to keeping them in pristine condition. I know what I prefer - the sight of well looked after stock for the benefit and future of all who follow in our footsteps.
Regards
Phil
Old 22nd July 2011, 20:20

I can't really be in dispute with what has been achieved in preserving this heritage, I do love to see and experience these machines, from the diminutive Ffestiniog stock through to main line expresses and the carriage sets, but it is, and I admit, has to be, a utopia which is being shown. but where is the equivalent of the ...

"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days, With a cargo of Tyne coal, ..." (Masefield) being shown for those who never experienced it?.

Last edited by LMSman; 22nd July 2011 at 20:34.