16:07

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Radio Documentary

Old 8th November 2011, 10:45

Radio Documentary

Morning,

I'm a Sony Radio Award nominated radio producer and I'm working on a new project about unveiling the hidden stories and people of Birmingham.

I've always been fascinated by train spotting and the seemingly secretive, cult, underworld of locomotive fantasists. Its something I've always wanted to understand more of, even when I was young boy watching train spotters at Birmingham New Street and I wondered if it was possible to pick your brains about the hobby.

What is it about the hobby that excites people to take it up? Is it passed on by generations? What makes a 'good' trainspotter? What makes a 'bad' trainspotter? How is the hobby organised?

If any of you could help, please get in touch! If your based in Birmingham and wouldn't mind catching up for a coffee with me, that would be amazing. Or could you suggest someone I should speak to?

I'm really excited to understand a little bit more about you and the community of train spotting...

Thanks

- Chris

Old 8th November 2011, 11:36

Hello 470Media and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry but since I am not a member of any secretive cult or associated with the underworld of locomotive fantasists, I am unable to assist you in your quest for train spotting knowledge.

There may be those amongst us who are in a position to assist you, but I am sworn to secrecy!
All the best with your quest.
Old 8th November 2011, 11:57

Haha - I apologise if I over fantasised that a little.

I am just very intrigued as to the community surrounding train spotting as its always something I've wanted to participate in, but never knew how...

Thanks for your help anyway!

- Chris
Old 8th November 2011, 12:58

Stick with it. You WILL get help, there are lots and lots of people who will assist.
Old 8th November 2011, 14:54

Hello 470media, can I suggest that an obvious choice of subject would be Les Ross.
Possibly the ultimate "Spotter", started when he was at school, carried on all through the years he was broadcasting, a household name in the west mids, had a Locomotive named after him, ended up buying it!

Regards, 62440.
Old 8th November 2011, 16:07

Hello Chris and welcome to the forum.
In reply to your question as to what this hobby is all about; that depends on who you talk to as there are so many reasons why anyone takes on a hobby. My views are first and formost enjoyment. Its starts like collecting things, only in this case its to see and record as many different rolling stock as possible. This can include Locomotives,coaches, wagons etc. As the hobby progresses so does the knowledge of the items and all the peripheral equipment as books, records, photographs etc.
There is no such thing as a good or bad enthusiast because there is not set format. It is whatever makes you happy and that can mean so many different things to so many different people.
There is the added aspect of travel and some go to great lengths (all over the world) in persuit of the hobby.
To many nostalga plays a very important role and takes one back to the days when our railways were a massive part of everyday life.
I could go on but as you will find out there is nothing secret about our hobby, we are for the most part a happy bunch who will do anything to be with and part of anyone and anything connected.
By the way not everyone associated with this hobby is a "spotter" there are many who enjoy just being on and connected to a railway, and then there are the photographers who specalise in capturing locomotive either steam diesel electric or all!
Have fun with your hobby as a researcher as we do.
All the best
Phil
Old 8th November 2011, 17:05

Hi

Well I don't come from Birmingham so may not be able to help you

Got lots of time now since becoming disabled/unemployed so you can ask me but whether I will have an answer like said Earlier Less Ross is a good place to start if not buy a book and get yourself to Birmingham New Street and immerse yourself in the hobby

when it come to railways there is such a lot to see and when you go to a preservation society there is so much to replicate

Sorry though secret societies there are not
But weird and wonderful unintelligible jargon OH Yes there's lots of that

also a good place to listen in is Facebook (Group - UK Trainspotting & Rail Enthusiasts) plenty of us nutters there

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 15th November 2011, 12:25

Thank you so much for your kind words, comments and help!

You've given me more than enough to get the project started, Les Ross is a brilliant piece of information. I'll try and get in contact with him as he definitely adds the local perspective on spotting here in Birmingham.

62440, Silver Fox Phil and Madcaravanner, if you don't mind, could you send me a private message with your email addresses in? I'd love to chat more and possible try and catch up with you sometime before Christmas if possible to chat about the project.

Speak soon!

- Chris
Old 15th November 2011, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 470media View Post
Thank you so much for your kind words, comments and help!

You've given me more than enough to get the project started, Les Ross is a brilliant piece of information. I'll try and get in contact with him as he definitely adds the local perspective on spotting here in Birmingham.

62440, Silver Fox Phil and Madcaravanner, if you don't mind, could you send me a private message with your email addresses in? I'd love to chat more and possible try and catch up with you sometime before Christmas if possible to chat about the project.

Speak soon!

- Chris
You can send anyone a private message using this forum, just click on the members name and leave your message and if the member wishes, they will return your message.
Good luck with your project
Regards
Phil
Old 15th November 2011, 21:41

Hello media, i think one way to obtain the thoughts of people who are interested in all rail subjects, is to ask them what their ultimate dream or fantasy is. I'm not ashamed to say mine was to be on the footplate of a

"Duchess" out of Euston to Crewe, or Crewe to Perth, --- mad or what! any other dreams out there?