15:15

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

The New Lynton And Barnstaple

Old 17th February 2011, 18:54

The New Lynton And Barnstaple

The volunteers at Woody bay have an enourmous task ahead of them. The original railway was 19 miles long and curretnly they have around a mile of track operational. Exmoor associates is slowly buying up land for the railway, so it looks like there is a future.

I must first point out that although the original sheds and workshops were at Pilton, the trackbed also passes though Bratton Flemming, which is already home to two light railway firms. These are Roanoke engineering and Exmoor steam railway. Both have experience of building for two foot gauge. Both in steam as well, but Roanoke builds more diesels than steam, and also builds rolling stock. So, although Pilton might be a good palce for a shed and light engineering workshop once the line is complete, it would make sense to make use of these facilities in a place that the line actually happens to pass though. The douth devon railway acquired Pridhams boiler makers, so maybe Roanoke and Exmoor steam can be brought into the equation. Well it might not work, but if it's there then it would be sensible to make good use of it.
One combined works in the village with steam, diesels and rolling stock being chirned out to a good standard, with money also being made selling products to other railways like Boston lodge does.

With it's high viaduct and sweeping mooorland scenery, I reckon that this railway could be up to and beyond the standards of the welsh highland/ festiniog railway.

Old 21st February 2011, 20:25

I've always seen the Lynton and Barnstaple as the 'Somerset and Dorset' of the narrow gauge world, hope to check it out soon
Old 23rd February 2011, 01:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE View Post
I've always seen the Lynton and Barnstaple as the 'Somerset and Dorset' of the narrow gauge world, hope to check it out soon
Please do, I'm sure you will enjoy the experience. There is still a long way to go before a representative length of track is in operation, but at least it's a start!
Old 23rd February 2011, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
The volunteers at Woody bay have an enourmous task ahead of them. The original railway was 19 miles long and curretnly they have around a mile of track operational. Exmoor associates is slowly buying up land for the railway, so it looks like there is a future.

I must first point out that although the original sheds and workshops were at Pilton, the trackbed also passes though Bratton Flemming, which is already home to two light railway firms. These are Roanoke engineering and Exmoor steam railway. Both have experience of building for two foot gauge. Both in steam as well, but Roanoke builds more diesels than steam, and also builds rolling stock. So, although Pilton might be a good palce for a shed and light engineering workshop once the line is complete, it would make sense to make use of these facilities in a place that the line actually happens to pass though. The douth devon railway acquired Pridhams boiler makers, so maybe Roanoke and Exmoor steam can be brought into the equation. Well it might not work, but if it's there then it would be sensible to make good use of it.
One combined works in the village with steam, diesels and rolling stock being chirned out to a good standard, with money also being made selling products to other railways like Boston lodge does.

With it's high viaduct and sweeping mooorland scenery, I reckon that this railway could be up to and beyond the standards of the welsh highland/ festiniog railway.
The L&B did have an engineering workshop in Bratton Fleming for some time, a few years ago, but this was not (and, like Roanoke and Exmoor Steam Centre, never could have been) rail-connected to the L&B formation, which gave additional issues and costs related to transport etc. L&B engineering is now carried out at Woody Bay, (although a major carriage restoration project is being undertaken in Essex!) or contracted out - locally wherever possible. Bennett Boilers, in Somerset, for example, are producing the boiler for the replacement Baldwin "762 Lyn" currently being built.

The next section of the L&B to be reopened is expected to be from Killington Lane (possibly in stages) to Blackmoor Gate, where a new engineering centre (the shed at WB is intended to be transportable to a new location), among other facilities, will be located. This will not be for several years yet, as there are a number of obstacles to be overcome first, including around £300,000 to renew the bridge under Killington Lane, the current southern railhead.
Old 23rd February 2011, 18:42

Welcome to the forum LynBarn, and thanks for the information.
Old 27th September 2011, 23:57

The wife and I travelled to Killington Lane on 15th September. Treated her to first class.

Lovely little railway.
Old 30th September 2011, 10:49
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum LynBarn. Hope to visit Woody Bay on Sunday 23rd October.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 9th June 2012, 17:37

I'ts all happening! Extension doc. published on the website..
Old 9th June 2012, 22:12
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE View Post
You will get a warm welcome. I spent avery enjoyable afternoon at Woody Bay last October.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 2nd August 2013, 19:59

I see that N Devon Council have identified the site for the new L & B station at Barnstaple - see their website - planning for the future..