14:17

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

My layout part 2

Old 25th February 2011, 20:26

hi
can you tell me where you got those buildings (or are they homemade) from in the photos as i need some myself
hornby

Old 25th February 2011, 20:42

Hi Hornby,

The bus depot is from the Hornby Lyddle End range, I think. The rest are from Kestrel Designs.

The only scratchbuilt buidling I have done was a bus depot for my first layout, which I still have somewhere. My original thread called 'My Layout' should have some photos of it. The only other piece of scratchbuilding is my engneering works and my coal drop.

I have just revamped my coal truck after taking some photos of the real thing a few weeks ago. I have also finished a second one from a Fleetline Gem Bedford TK. Note the difference to the rear mechanism in this photo to the original model a few posts back.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COAL2.jpg (84.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 5th March 2011, 17:30

Down on the farm

Hi,

Just finished my latest model. It's based on the Fordson Doe dual tractor. A number of these were built and it gave the farmer double the horsepaower and four wheel drive.

The models are a couple of P & D Marsh Ferguson tractors. The front wheels broke off when I was cleaning up the mould lines. Both were consigned to the odds and ends box until I saw a photo of a Fordson Doe. Other tractor combinations were produced so anything is possible.

Again it's something different.

Also another photo of my coal depot with a TK truck getting filled straight from the coal wagon.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRACTORS.jpg (125.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg coal drop.jpg (98.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 5th March 2011, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Crawford View Post
Hi,

Just finished my latest model. It's based on the Fordson Doe dual tractor. A number of these were built and it gave the farmer double the horsepaower and four wheel drive.

Alex
Built by Ernest Doe, an agricultural Ford dealers at Ulting in Essex.

It's not too far from where I live, but must admit I can only remember seeing one in recent memory.
Old 9th March 2011, 20:49

Hi,

I've started the framework for my upper level US railroad. I'll try and get some more done this weekend.

In the meantime I've been making some equipment for my garage. Attached are some piccies.

An Anglia, with a scratchbuilt eninge, is on the ramps. A wheel balance and tyre remover along with three trolley jacks. A Snipe up on one of the jacks. This one was made in the up position. The wheel will be removed and placed on the balance machine.

All made from scrap plastic, except the Anglia and Snipe. I'm not that good.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ramp.jpg (74.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg jacks.jpg (80.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg snipe.jpg (69.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 21st March 2011, 18:04

Some more wagons and stuff

Hi,

Finally finished my Wemyss Private Railway brake van after finding some suitable decals. The photo shows it at the end of a rake of Wemyss coal trucks. Now all I have to do is finish my WPR Barclay 0-6-0T for the other end.

Also put some decals on my Bedford coal truck. I also repainted one of my wagons as a PO Wagon in the samer colours os the coal truck. I may do another 2-3 of these.

Once the decals were applied to the wagon I let them dry for a couple of days. With a sharp knife I then rescored the plank detail over the decals, so that when I went to weather the wagon the black wash ran along between the planks. The end result looked like the writting was painted on rather than being a decal. Well that's the theory anyway. The photo should show what I mean.

Regards,

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WPR3.jpg (72.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg df coal2.jpg (82.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DF Coal.jpg (71.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 21st March 2011, 20:59

Looks good Alex.
Old 11th April 2011, 19:36

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

Another piece of rolling stock is almost finished. This is a NBR Floor Cloth Wagon. Nairns of Kirkcaldy used a number of these wagons to transport their floor cloth (linolium as we know it today).

The chassis was built from two Peco 10ft steel solebar chassis's. The body was scratchbuilt from 20 thou plastic card and the decals were made for me by Robbies Rolling Stock.

Nairns had five of these wagons. Three were wooden solebars and two had steel solebars. Wheelbase was 16ft 10in. As I have half a chassis left I will make a second one.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NBR Floor.jpg (45.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 12th April 2011, 20:24

love the wagon maight have to make one my sellf if any one makes it in 00 but hated linolium when i was a kid very cold in the winter on the feet
Old 12th April 2011, 20:33

Hi farren,

My mum still calls it watch cloth.

You should have a go and build one in OO. Do the bodywork first, that way if it doesn't work out you haven't wasted a couple of chassis.

I'm also working on a couple of 3 plank wagons that were used by Tullis Russell, a local paper mill.

Alex