19:29

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Help please with old station photos - S Wales.

Old 10th August 2013, 09:38

Help please with old station photos - S Wales.

I have a non-commercial website for collecting and making available online, old photographs of Ystradgynlais and district (South Wales).
http://sites.google.com/site/oldystradgynlais
I have only a few railway scans at present, and I'm looking for old photos of the railway stations etc that used to be in the area.
The stations were Ystradgynlais, Abercrave, Colbren Junction, Gwys, Penwyllt / Craig y nos, and Gurnos Junction.
Can anyone help me by advising how I can get good quality scans or prints of any of these stations please?
Any help or suggestions will be very gratefully received! Thank you.
Alan

Old 13th August 2013, 10:13

Hello Aggrf and welcome to the forum
I see your request for the old photos of the district you need. Im sorry I cant help, however I am sure there may be some on this forum who might be able to assist.
Hope you get what your looking for
All the best
Phil
Old 23rd August 2013, 18:50

Ok, I've found a Colbren Junction 1935 and a Craig-y-nos 1912 from an ebay Lens of Sutton seller.
Has anyone got the STATIONS UK, No 6 Wales and the West Country catalogue? If so can you let me know if any of the stations I mentioned in my first post are included please? (The minimum order for catalogues is £10 and there might not be any in it.)
Thanks! Alan
Old 29th November 2014, 18:36

Occasionally photos of local stations come up on ebay. The last few were marked as Copyright HC or RM Casserley, or Townley/Peden. I don't understand the restrictions on using these prints - if they are copyright how come someone is selling them? Or is it accepted practice to use these photos if the copyright holder is acknowledged? I would be using them in a completely non-commercial way.
On the other hand if permission to use the photos is required how do I go about contacting the copyright owners? Can anyone enlighten me please?
Alan
Old 5th December 2014, 23:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrf View Post
Occasionally photos of local stations come up on ebay. The last few were marked as Copyright HC or RM Casserley, or Townley/Peden. I don't understand the restrictions on using these prints - if they are copyright how come someone is selling them? Or is it accepted practice to use these photos if the copyright holder is acknowledged? I would be using them in a completely non-commercial way.
On the other hand if permission to use the photos is required how do I go about contacting the copyright owners? Can anyone enlighten me please?
Alan
The late Jim Peden used to sell copies of his own photos at model exhibitions, etc. I assume that purchasers of such photos are entitled to dispose of these copies, but not for use in commercial publications.
Old 4th January 2015, 21:07

When you obtain a copy of a photograph you usually do not get the copyright to it simply a photograph. You can buy the copyright but this needs to be explicit in the transaction.
Possession of the photo gives you no reproduction rights. If you want to use it commercially you should make reasonable steps to obtain or pay for reproduction rights from the copyright holder. This is not simple as many photos are no credited.
Major holders of photo collections and their copyright include the NRM and Transport Treasurey.
The copyright to the late late Jim Peden's photographs (& I think those marked as
Stations UK/Peden and those of C.H.A Townley resides with the Industrial Railway Society. (www.irsociety.co.uk). You should contact [email protected] for more information. Andrew Smith, IRS Photograph Officer.