07:57

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

something for the weekend sir

Old 15th March 2012, 22:13

something for the weekend sir

hi i would like any ones input in to building a tank loco i would like to use a RTR loco has a starting point saving on the pain of trying to build the chasse and was thinking of truning a hornby M7 into a ether a Stanier/MC Intosh or a Jhonson 0-4-4t

i have the drawings of the jhonson loco but not the other two and have not got the M7 yet but have drawings so hopefully hornby have done there job

i know that all the locos had 5''7 wheels apart from the 2nd and 3rd bach of jhonsons. so the M7 fits in there but apart from that bit any help would be welcome

so has any one tried this and if so how did you get on, and are any of thes a none starter as i have not got the money to waste on dead end and if so has any one got a better idear to try

i dont mind what type of loco has long has it is LMS ex-LMS

Old 18th March 2012, 19:48
Station Manager

If you are going to start with the Hornby M7 the Caledonian Drummond/McIntosh is you best bet as they are very similar being basic D Drumond designs. I will have a look to se if I have drawings.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 19th March 2012, 09:38
Station Manager

Had a good look at the M7 and the CR McIntosh 439 0-4-4T. They are much more disimmilar than I thought. Wheel sizes, spacing etc. are quite different. Also the water tanks are completely different shapes. Would involve major surgery!

The Johnson 0-4-4T is much smaller than the M7 so again I think it would be difficult to creat a reasonable representation for the M7.

I have two Craftsman Kits for MR Johnson 0-4-4T, one with round top and the other with Belpaire Boiler. I bought them from the Shawplan Stand at Exhibitions. I still need to get wheels, motors and gearboxes for them but I think they will be simpler than butchering a Hornby M7.

The best book on the Johnson 0-4-4T's is Midland Engines No.1 "1833 and 2228 Class Bogie Passenger Tanks" by James, Hunt and Essery, pub. Wild Swan. I think it is still available.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 19th March 2012, 13:46

I would agree with John on this.

Some of the early Wills bodyline kits were designed for RTR chassis. Standards were different then and people just wanted to get something that reasonably represented the prototype.

Now days we expect the correct wheel dimensions etc.etc. and a lot of these early models look crude today.

If you have a lot of experience then you will of course know that 0-4-4 chassis are very difficult to balance and to get good running from.

If you are less experienced then I suggest investigating RM web for advice.
Old 19th March 2012, 16:52
Station Manager

I may well be asking you advice Jack when I get round to attempting the Craftsmen Kits!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 20th March 2012, 10:20

Fine John!!
Old 20th March 2012, 10:56

will thanks for the advice i have scratch built one and it kind of works i would say its a crud model has i was trying to test my skills and bought has little as possible has i made the dome and chimney myself out of brass tubing its my of a the chaise is had built so the only things i did bay was the motor wheels gear box and this was done with just hand tools no pillar drill and from a distance it looks like one but the electrics do let it down a bet.
and was just trying for a simple conversion has i have a johnson half cab to build but was just looking for something to do on the odd weekend i might have to bay the kit for a 0-4-4t has i do like them.
Old 20th March 2012, 18:13
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by farren View Post
will thanks for the advice i have scratch built one and it kind of works i would say its a crud model has i was trying to test my skills and bought has little as possible has i made the dome and chimney myself out of brass tubing its my of a the chaise is had built so the only things i did bay was the motor wheels gear box and this was done with just hand tools no pillar drill and from a distance it looks like one but the electrics do let it down a bet.
and was just trying for a simple conversion has i have a johnson half cab to build but was just looking for something to do on the odd weekend i might have to bay the kit for a 0-4-4t has i do like them.
The fact that you have already tried kit building with some success shows that you"have broken the duck!" It is now a case of keeping going.

Could you post some photos of your first effort? I'm sure it will inspire others To "have a go."

Best wishes,

John H-T.