06:58

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Being cautious - white spirit

Old 18th September 2009, 16:25

Wink Being cautious - white spirit

I've got an old triang-hornby shunter loco (number 47606 0-6-0) which I've refurbished to the extent in which it now moves properly. But the commutator and brushes are extremely dirty so it doesn't run very smoothly. I want to try cleaning them with white spirit which works wonders on dirty track and I expect it will here too, but I know that it can be quite corrosive and have some nasty side effects so do you think it's safe to use on the motor? (it's a standard motor, what modern day hornby might refer to as a 'five pole skew wound'). It's been under overhaul for some time so i'd really love to get it working good as quickly as possible.

some other things I thought I'd add:
The steel wheels are covered with a layer of black oxide (probably a result of 30 years of neglect). How the heck can I get it off as it's proving very difficult?

And it has a smoke machine (if you call it that). Hornby can sell you a tiny bottle of fluid for £4 that does the trick. but I've heard rumours that things like baby oil can work just as well. any tips?

Last edited by ECML43; 19th September 2009 at 16:21.
Old 18th September 2009, 19:19

Go to a good electrical or computer repair depot, they use a grease solvent which does't leave a residue. It comes under several trade names.
Old 18th September 2009, 19:28

Whatever you do, don't get whatever you use on anything plastic. I used a well known brand of switch cleaner on several electrical items some years ago, result? 1 TV, 1 Radio Cassette, 1 Record Deck, 1 Transistor Radio. All wrecked. The stuff takes several weeks to act, then suddenly the plastic becomes what I can only describe as Flakey. It falls apart in tiny bits. Be very careful.
Cheers, 62440.
Old 18th September 2009, 19:36

I used to be an aircraft engineer and we used an aerosol spray degreaser, it was harmless to surrounding materials.
Old 19th September 2009, 13:58

I have always used methylated spirit for cleaning low voltage electrical contacts, including brush and commutator cleaning.....seems to do the trick OK and doesn't leave a residue. It is very inflammable though so you can't use where there is any risk of igniting it.

Alex10