02:56

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Missing Wagon.

Old 24th July 2010, 16:49

When I was in the RAF in 1960 I was stationed at Linton on Ouse in Yorkshire. A full audit of equipment was carried out, it took weeks! It was discovered that a Vampire aircraft was missing; cue for much flapping and headless chicken impersonations.
After several days, it dawned on the brass that the aircraft had been dismantled and most of the bits used as spares. The only recognisable bit left was one tailboom which was found mounted on the wall of the flight crewroom!

Old 25th July 2010, 05:47
Registered Member

Thank goodness for that.

Old 25th July 2010, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilersuit View Post
I remember that wagon! I always looked out for it when I passed through Godstone. So it's finally gone has it?

It sure has - though how and exactly when I couldn't say.

On the same theme, there was a well wagon on the old up side sidings at New Cross Gate for years that finally disappeared when the East London Line work started. Wonder if it went to a preservation society or was just scrapped?

And about a year ago I remember seeing a brake van (a Southern Railway type possibly?) in a siding on one of the Colchester line stations (maybe Shenfield).
Old 25th July 2010, 15:16

The Brakevan / Engineers Plough alas is still at Shenfield Station! Ripple Lane West Yard has two roads of Cartics, Brake Vans, Parcels vehicles and other assorted vehicles left isolated when the yard was reorganised. These have been here for over a decade. They are a complete eyesore, a very poor advert for modern railfreight and give the impression of a clapped out run down mode of transport to the travelling public. Maybe DBS will bring a breaker and dispose of them one day. You don't see Eddie Stobart putting their wrecks in the public eye!
Old 25th July 2010, 20:01
Station Manager

Years ago when I was still a snooty nosed young teenager, my father was the CID officer for the Rhodesia Railways Police. Some trucks of copper bars went missing from the railways and he was asked to look into it. One Friday afternoon my dad was standing on the Ndola platform in Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia) when a train load off copper bars arrived in the yard from the copper refinery just outside of Ndola. The next thing that happened was the wagons were shunted to form up a train to head south and on to the ports for export.
My father was already working on another case not related and he headed over to the goods shed to talk to the goods clerk. It was while he was in the goods shed that he noticed some lorries reversing up a ramp and tipping scrap iron into a wagon. To him something was wrong.
That when he remembered. He had seen that wagon earlier. It was on the copper train that had arrived from the refinery. Dad knew when the copper train was due to leave and so he arranged to have the load checked just before it was due to depart, and after the shunt and loco crew had clocked off.
Five trucks were found to have scrapped metal dumped on top of the copper bars, and all the wagons being old also had ticket stating that they were scrap. Railway police all along the route were asked to report the progress of the wagons, right down to the port in Portuguese East Africa. The wagons were stopped from being loaded onto the ship. And the wagons and copper were recovered. Two footplate men and the whole shunt crew plus some port workers were arrested, charged and did time. The scrap merchant in the Far East was also charged in his own country and served time. All in all 16 wagons had already been turned into scrap steel for the manufacture of cars. After this, new and stringent checks were made on the movement of all wagons. As for my dad, well he said it was just part of the job, but he did not turn down the promotion.
Old 27th July 2010, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
The Brakevan / Engineers Plough alas is still at Shenfield Station! Ripple Lane West Yard has two roads of Cartics, Brake Vans, Parcels vehicles and other assorted vehicles left isolated when the yard was reorganised. These have been here for over a decade. They are a complete eyesore, a very poor advert for modern railfreight and give the impression of a clapped out run down mode of transport to the travelling public. Maybe DBS will bring a breaker and dispose of them one day. You don't see Eddie Stobart putting their wrecks in the public eye!
I shouldn't think the travelling public's expectations are very high in that respect, insofar as they think about the freight business at all. I should know - i work in it. Mind you, I would have thought that with scrap prices reaching all time highs within the past few years, it would have been worth someone's while to have disposed of all the junk at Ripple Lane.
Old 27th July 2010, 10:58
Registered Member

Who actually owns these wagons and are the brakevans goods brakevans ?

Old 30th July 2010, 02:33

Think there two or three MGR coal hoppers still at the siding at shell in Ellesmere port,been parked there for at least 10 years now,trees and bushs are all round them.....
Old 30th July 2010, 02:35

Theres half burnt out GWR brake van at the sidings at Shotten paper plant in Deeside North wales....
Old 16th September 2010, 13:04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5mh0...eature=related