11:08

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

The Royal Train

Old 15th February 2010, 12:49

The Royal Train

In the mid 90s Charlie Boy was down in Cornwall and my house at the time looked right across the goods yard, i was getting ready to go to work at about 1pm and i was watching the royal train push back into the yard.
We had just been given mobile phones so i phoned the supervisor to see where my freight train was he said right behind the royal train so i was filling my flask up in came my freight train stopped then set back into the yard the only thing was no one had taken the point clips off so the freight train broke the points has it went forward then when it set back there were three wagons plus loco off the road oops .
I phoned the supervisor back again and told him the problem but he did not believe me one hell of a mess.
Now Charlie Boy was booked to leave Par at 4pm his train is blocked in at St Blazey, they got the three wagons back on the the tracks but the loco was still off on one bogie.
Off they went to the B&W railway and got two wheel skids put under the loco (by the way this is a brand new 66 just come off the boat) they put the skids under the loco well they just bent like butter only ever made for small 20ton wagons years ago and they are trying to lift a 120ton loco.
In the end they pushed the 66 back on with the royal engine a 47 i dont know what damage was ever done to the 66 but it was done so that Charlie was not leaving Par .
If we had done something like that on our own backs i think a final warning would have been dished out .

ccmmick.

Old 15th February 2010, 12:57
Registered Member

Good story commick, as I recall years ago jacks and wedges and crow bars were used for derailed waggons and maybe some locos.
Old 15th February 2010, 13:58

Yes you are right wood blocks and heavy labour.
Wheel skids were in every yard but they were taken away as a lot of wagons were put back on the tracks and know one every new about it.
Today it is all done by hydraulics.

ccmmick.

Old 15th February 2010, 15:11

Are skids the same as wheel skates ? (Forgive me I'm a suburban driver - Freight activities are a bit of a mystery ).

We use skates regularly as our DC motors have a habit of seizing solid when they 'die'. Fortunately the whole motor coach only weighs about 40 tons, so the skates seem to cope. To begin with the RSTs always cautiously tell us to keep the speed down to 5 mph, and then after about half an hour on the main line they change their minds and decide that actually '15 is fine'. Time is money nowadays.

FP
Old 15th February 2010, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post
Are skids the same as wheel skates ?
No they are not. Wheel skates are still in use today skids went out years ago.
It is a device that is put on the rail under a wheel then the wagon is pulled back on the rails via the skid.
Hope that makes sense .

ccmmick.

Old 15th February 2010, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmmick View Post
It is a device that is put on the rail under a wheel then the wagon is pulled back on the rails via the skid.
Hope that makes sense .
OK - sounds like a very useful piece of kit.
Old 15th February 2010, 15:57

Just found this on google take a look.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...DZD2-Abo7bjhDg.

ccmmick.

Old 26th February 2010, 14:09

Royal Train

One Friday evening I worked the Royal train from Didcot to Kemble ( to pick up Prince Charles) and then forward to Crewe.
As I arrived at Kemble with the ECS at about 2300 hrs there was a NR employee on the platform exhibiting a yellow hand signal to indicate to me where to stop the train and as I came to a stand opposite him he burst out laughing,on enquiring what it was he was laughing at he replied " you should have got here earlier mate you've missed all the fun!"
Apparently at about 2230 a couple had come out of the pub in the Station yard(on the Down side) and got into the backseat of a Jaguar car,the man was about 60 and the women about 20ish.After a few minutes the car alarm started,due to the bouncing movement of the car,and almost instantly the car was surrounded by "armed" police and soldiers(the security for Charles who had been hiding in the bushes).
I bet there were a few blushes !
The NR man said " he picked the wrong bloody night to have some fun in his car!"
Old 26th February 2010, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Aman View Post
...police and soldiers(the security for Charles who had been hiding in the bushes)...
Charles hides in bushes?!
Old 26th February 2010, 18:53

Do the papers know about this latest scandal? it sounds like a scoop!