06:17

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Where are the "Tappers" ?

Old 11th January 2010, 19:30

Very funny locojoe
I like Will Hay a good old comic.

ccmmick.

Old 11th January 2010, 19:34
Registered Member

Hi commick not only Will Hay but Silver Link as an added bonus.
Old 12th January 2010, 13:43
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
Hello 48111 'Hot Axle Box Detectors' are placed strategically along the LM Main Line i.e Hanslope, Attleborough, Madeley Jn' these devices measure the temperature on individual axles. If operated a warning is sent to the controlling Signaller. He will stop the train and advise the Driver who will be told the wagon and axle number, describing the problem which axle box, or across the axle. The Driver will check the axle and surrounding axles for signs of overheating. He will use a 'templestick' a waxy crayon which melts at a predetermined temperature if the axle is too hot. He will advise the Signaller whether their is a problem or it might have been caused by dragging brakes. In this instance he can isolate the wagons brakes. If he is totally happy he will continue on his journey. If the driver thinks there is a problem he will work the train at reduced speed to a place where a fitter or competent person can give it a proper examination. If the problem cannot be rectified the wagon will be detached for repairs. If a HABD activates and no problem is discovered and the vehicle continues on it's journey and then the same vehicle sets off another HABD the wagon must be examined by a trained Rolling Stock Technician. Roller bearings are very reliable but through faults etc they can collapse. When the bearing fails, the axle box will rapidly overheat and smelly black oil will leak around the particular axle box. Although I have never had a complete bearing failure I have been told the signs are unmistakeable.
Seabrook, thank you for that mate, a very interesting read.
Thanks.

Old 12th January 2010, 17:53

Also found all over the Network.
Plays hell with renewal sites working around them getting them removed / replaced.
Old 12th January 2010, 18:19

Down this way the units don't have tyres, as they make the
whole wheel out of the same stuff
What with the above, disc brakes and ultra-sonic testing
you don't need the Ding, ding, ding DONK "Oh poo" man no more
Old 12th January 2010, 19:51

wheel tappers

They are almost completely extinct now, so it was a bonus for me to see and hear one at work somewhere in eastern europe (I'll have to check my trip logs for exactly where!) whilst on a visit to the far east of Poland in the summer. I heard him before I saw him, as he did our train and came back the other side of the island platform working along that train.

The hammer was used on the wheels for both of the two waggon projects, nice clear dings! also on the buffers, for interests sake! if a bit much of a noise for inside the workshop.
Old 13th January 2010, 07:21
Registered Member

So if you have a train that lets say, come up from Cornwall to Paddington for instance and then is booked to work back again, as it stands in Paddington and is cleaned and "serviced" inside ready for the return, what about somebody (used to be the TAPPER) walking along the train on the outside checking everything is ok ?
Surely the modern trains of today are checked SOMEWHERE during their days work, especially the long distance ones ??
I hear what you all say about "modern running gear" such as roller bearings etc, but I would think from the safety aspect that they should be checked ??

Perhaps its me being too old fashioned !

Old 13th January 2010, 11:44

Hi 48111
The trains do get checked when they go onto maintenance depots they also get full exams after so many hours running.
Like cars of today they are a lot more reliable and same with trains until it goes bang if the middle of nowhere.

ccmmick.

Old 30th January 2010, 17:25

Somebody has to ask - when did the last wheeltapper tap his last? I remember in the early '80s being surprised in Sheffield to hear our train being tapped - hadn't heard that sound for years.

Chuffchuff - in the course of my business I recently visited the works of the main (only?) wheelset manufacturer in Britain and persuaded my contact to show me round. He said that no wheelsets were now tyred (although some were knackered).
Old 30th January 2010, 21:42

The 'Wheeltappers' duties were the examination of Brakes, Axles and exterior fittings etc. The tap of the hammer was the way he checked for wheel flats which could be caused by skidding wheels, dragging wheels, contaminated track i.e leaf fall etc. The resonant sound by experience told him the wheel was in good order. Today an automated device called a 'Wheelchek' is fitted at the line side. This measures vibration which will show if the wheel is out of round. This information if outside normal parameters, will operate in the controlling Signal Box. The signaller will stop and advise the Driver, who will work forward at the speed advised by the signaller. The Vehicle can be taken out of service where the damaged wheelset will be re-profiled or changed depending on it's condition. It is known that the loud bangs from flats on wheels can cause damage to the rail in the worst circumstances. So reducing the problem to the minimum is to be desired.