09:29

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Where are the "Tappers" ?

Old 11th January 2010, 12:12
Registered Member

Where are the "Tappers" ?

Good morning one and all, the weather is "snow joke" is it ???
Anyway, I wonder if someone who knows the modern railway set up can answer me a question please ?

On todays railway where are the "Tappers" ? What happens if a train gets a "hot box" and who checks defects in sidings and depots before the trains are marshalled ?

We used have a "C&W man on duty around the clock, he did not only deal with anything in one of the two yards at Nuneaton but anything that was stopped on the main line as well.
So if I take a train today from say, Willesden to Crewe and go via Northampton and get stopped at Northampton with a hot box or some other defect in the train....who checks it ?

Old 11th January 2010, 12:33

Hi 48111

Like you say all tappers have gone and hot boxes are a thing of the past all roller bearings today the wagons get checked on a regular basis.

I think you will find it is down to the shunter to do a basic check on trains before the start of a journey.

They still use hot box detectors but not for hot boxes more for hot running brakes.

ccmmick.

Old 11th January 2010, 12:39

And why are so many coaches allowed to run with wheel flats which surely must do no good either to the coach itself or the track? I travelled from Euston to Birmingham the other week on a Pendolino which had at least two in my coach.
Old 11th January 2010, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflector View Post
And why are so many coaches allowed to run with wheel flats which surely must do no good either to the coach itself or the track? I travelled from Euston to Birmingham the other week on a Pendolino which had at least two in my coach.
You are right on that one reflector i went to London on a FGW in October the flats were that bad i moved into another coach.

ccmmick.

Old 11th January 2010, 13:01

A number of years ago i worked a freight to Exeter i went in tavi jct yard and picked up three cargo wagons on the back of the train the shunter gave me a brake test but i didnt boost the brake to equalize the train.
So off i went going up hemerdon bank over the top running down through Totnes bank i was picked on the detectors at Exeter signal box i was stopped at Totnes the signalman asked me to go back and check my train.
The back three cargo wagons brakes were red hot it was summertime and i caught the banks on fire stopped the railways for quite sometime.

The next day when i booked on my inspector gave me a pair of welding gloves to put in my bag.

ccmmick.

Old 11th January 2010, 13:38
Registered Member

Yes living so close to the WCML, I very often hear trains running through Bletchley up towards Leighton Buzzard with wheel flats, in fact it is happening quite a lot of late.Some of them by the sound of them are really bad flats as well.

Old 11th January 2010, 14:14

Metrolink seems to be particularily bad for wheel flats. I was talking to one of my East Lancs colleagues this morning, who had a terrible journey on tram 1016 caused by wheel flats last night. Apparently the ride was that bad that the covers off the lights in the passenger compartment started falling off.
Old 11th January 2010, 14:42

Hello 48111 'Hot Axle Box Detectors' are placed strategically along the LM Main Line i.e Hanslope, Attleborough, Madeley Jn' these devices measure the temperature on individual axles. If operated a warning is sent to the controlling Signaller. He will stop the train and advise the Driver who will be told the wagon and axle number, describing the problem which axle box, or across the axle. The Driver will check the axle and surrounding axles for signs of overheating. He will use a 'templestick' a waxy crayon which melts at a predetermined temperature if the axle is too hot. He will advise the Signaller whether their is a problem or it might have been caused by dragging brakes. In this instance he can isolate the wagons brakes. If he is totally happy he will continue on his journey. If the driver thinks there is a problem he will work the train at reduced speed to a place where a fitter or competent person can give it a proper examination. If the problem cannot be rectified the wagon will be detached for repairs. If a HABD activates and no problem is discovered and the vehicle continues on it's journey and then the same vehicle sets off another HABD the wagon must be examined by a trained Rolling Stock Technician. Roller bearings are very reliable but through faults etc they can collapse. When the bearing fails, the axle box will rapidly overheat and smelly black oil will leak around the particular axle box. Although I have never had a complete bearing failure I have been told the signs are unmistakeable.

Last edited by Seabrook; 11th January 2010 at 14:50. Reason: Further amplification
Old 11th January 2010, 18:08

Thanks, Seabrook, for a very informative post.
Old 11th January 2010, 19:24
Registered Member

Here's a famous wheeltapper.
http://tinyurl.com/ylatd6m