01:30

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Tinsley marshalling yard

Old 3rd January 2010, 06:30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
48111 - have you watched the second YouTube video on Tinsley Marshalling Yard? There's EVEN MORE mechanical horses on there! No, I haven't seen the video you mentioned, I've never been able to afford such luxuries - I've always given my financial priority to seeing trains 'in the flesh', if that's an apt term... (APT?)
Well Dave, I would anything to be able to go and see trains "in the flesh" If I WAS WELL ENOUGH, which sadly I am not, I do intend to do something this new year, even if it is a visit just once to a preserved railway, I have to live with my videos and discs, books and of course this forum.

Just keep taking the tablets.

Old 3rd January 2010, 06:39

The new (?) 'Covent Garden' built on the site of the huge 70A Nine Elms MPD springs readily to mind, not forgetting that this was also adjoined by the original LSWR Works until replaced by Eastleigh. I visited 70A on two occasions in 1966 - a bit too late, really, and never had a camera with me, sadly. Red Bank sidings in Manchester was once a busy yard full of parcels vans & coaching stock, now it's mostly new houses, I think. What USED to be B & Q at Portsmouth & Southsea is built on part of the northern half of the low level station; this was the site of the original engine shed at Portsmouth before Fratton shed was built. There was still a turntable there until the 60's, next to which was a wooden hut which was used in later years of its existence by Portsmouth Model Railway Society (or somesuch); I believe that the same society now has use of the signalbox at Portsmouth Harbour. At least it's 'keeping it in the family'. Well, sort of...

Last edited by Dave Rowland; 3rd January 2010 at 06:41. Reason: typo/extra info
Old 3rd January 2010, 11:48

48111 i havent seen the video you mention,but ill try my best to find a copy and ill let you all know if i do.
Old 4th January 2010, 06:20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunk76 View Post
48111 i havent seen the video you mention,but ill try my best to find a copy and ill let you all know if i do.
Morning chunk76, if you cant find it mate, you are very welcome to borrow mine, I m only too willing to help. Let me know.

Old 4th January 2010, 11:22

Thats very kind of you 48111 i might just take you up on that offer if i cant find a copy,ive had no luck yet,you say its called FREIGHT anychance you know who it was made by and wot year,that way it would make my search easier,many thanks Daz.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:31

I was thinking the other day.

We all probably have a selection of DVD or Videos on interesting railway matters, and probably don't watch them very often.

How about lending them out to forum regulars ?

If I list the few I have then I post to chap A, and when he's viewed it he posts to chap B and so on. When no one else wants it then it's returned to the originator.

Or would it get too complicated, or violate any copyright agreements ?
Old 4th January 2010, 13:05

Hi pre65 that sounds like a great idea but the only problem i can see with it is can we trust other people to pass them on ? im not trying to say everybodys a theif or anything like that but could we gurantee everyone to be honest ?
Old 4th January 2010, 13:07

Quote:
Hi pre65 that sounds like a great idea but the only problem i can see with it is can we trust other people to pass them on ? im not trying to say everybodys a theif or anything like that but could we gurantee everyone to be honest ?

I did say "forum regulars" and I would trust any of them.
Old 4th January 2010, 13:11
Registered Member

Quote:
Thats very kind of you 48111 i might just take you up on that offer if i cant find a copy,ive had no luck yet,you say its called FREIGHT anychance you know who it was made by and wot year,that way it would make my search easier,many thanks Daz.
Me again chunk76, well I have it in front of me now and see what you can pick out of the following mate :

Produced by "Transport Video publishing".

Title - FREIGHT The history of Railfreight during nationalisation 1948-1985.

There is no first published date on it anywhere.

So if you cant find it let me know, e mail me or "PM" me and give me your address and you can borrow this one not a problem.
Only too glad to help.

Old 4th January 2010, 13:16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
I did say "forum regulars" and I would trust any of them.
Well pre65, that is a wonderful idea, and I would gladly participate, I do understand of course that it would be done on trust, but I am sure something could be worked out.

What a smashing idea, I love helping anyone and it would be good to let people borrow some of my "video libabry", perhaps we can "get our heads together" and come up with some kind of "lending conditions", what do you think ?

After all the RCTS has a libary and so does one or two railway groups, so why not us ?

What do YOU think ADMIN ???????

I will gladly get involved in this.
Anyone want a chat about it, please e mail me and I will give you my phone number for a "chat on the old dog and bone".

Last edited by 48111; 4th January 2010 at 13:48. Reason: More text