23:01

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Post Trains.

Old 14th December 2007, 10:15

Post Trains.

I was under the impression that Royal Mail stopped using post trains. Yet, on Wednesday afternoon at about 14:30 I saw a modern looking post train heading south near Crewe station. Does this mean some are still in operation?

Old 14th December 2007, 10:57

A few mail trains (operated by GBRF, I think) still run for Royal Mail but nowhere near the number that ran when EWS had the contract although at this time of year extra ones are running. They generally run on the Scotland - Warrington - London circuit. I saw a similar train(Class 325 unit) to the one you refer to passing Warrington at about 13:45 on Wednesday so it could have been the same one. Coincidentally an extra parcels train hauled by an EWS Class 90 was heading north at the same time.
Old 14th December 2007, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkboomer2 View Post
I was under the impression that Royal Mail stopped using post trains.
My understanding was that Royal Mail ditched the original large EWS operation, and so the Travelling Post Offices and mail trains were consigned to history. Later on GBrf picked up a much smaller deal with much tighter constrictions.

As an aside (oops there goes the tread again ) there used to be a cab mock up of a 325 at the National Railway museum - does anybody know if it's still there ? It's very similar inside to a 365 Networker without the glamour, if such a thing is possible.
Old 14th December 2007, 15:09
Station Manager

At this time of year I think there are 4 mail runs a day on the WCML two up and two down, but not 100% sure, it might be more, these are sets of 325s x 3.

Chris.
Old 14th December 2007, 19:35

Check out this link for what is running on the WCML

http://www.burgess57.freeserve.co.uk/railways.htm

Donald does a great job catching all the workings on the WCML north of Lancaster and with the Christmas rush on, extra services are being run using class 90`s atm
Old 18th December 2007, 19:38

A great site and photos. I have bookmarked it for a return visit.
Old 18th December 2007, 23:08
Station Manager

Also had a look at Donalds site and it really is good and a credit to him, some of the photos are stunning. Thanks for the link Robbo. All the best.
Old 15th March 2008, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghut View Post
My understanding was that Royal Mail ditched the original large EWS operation, and so the Travelling Post Offices and mail trains were consigned to history. Later on GBrf picked up a much smaller deal with much tighter constrictions.
they did indeed however xmas 07 saw extra trains run by ews and the old vans.

GBRF did use 87 electrics to haul the electric 325's over electrified lines! they stopped using 87's at new years due to the need for a newer black box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghut View Post
As an aside (oops there goes the tread again ) there used to be a cab mock up of a 325 at the National Railway museum - does anybody know if it's still there ? It's very similar inside to a 365 Networker without the glamour, if such a thing is possible.
it was still there a year but you cant go in it.....shame.....

Well done for making it past that today!
Old 1st April 2008, 00:08

I think as an aside to your views and comments on the recent mail train operations on the WCML gents, you have to remember the basic rules under which British Railways did its business in the old days ,
They were classified as Common carriers, which left them with unsurmountable problems as to what they were undertaking to carry, and delivery processes.mail was easy...it was delivered to and collected from trains en route, by Royal mail vehicles, how ever other parcels /freight were the responibilty of the railways until it was delivered,
with the onset of too much road freight space being available, the railways were unable to survive.
road became the new modern way, and we started getting our mail 2 days after posting instead of one ...need I say more ???
bring back the T,P,O,s i say at least you knew your mail was arriving safely not via a sorting office in Preston ,where amazingly 17 cards and letters to my Grandchildren in Blackpool have gone missing, (all containing money I might add)
yes bring back the Mail Trains ...
they were worth the extra 1 d postage..
Best regards Derby
Old 1st April 2008, 07:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derbyroy View Post
...it was delivered to and collected from trains en route, by Royal mail vehicles, how ever other parcels /freight were the responibilty of the railways until it was delivered,
with the onset of too much road freight space being available, the railways were unable to survive.
road became the new modern way, and we started getting our mail 2 days after posting instead of one ...need I say more ???
That put pressure on the railway certainly but the nail in the coffin was actually Railtrack who failed the railway as a whole, and suddenly threw down 20mph restrictions all over the country, following Hatfield, because work was overdue.

Well done for making it past that today!