12:07

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

The Royal Train

Old 26th February 2010, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmmick View Post
No they are not. Wheel skates are still in use today skids went out years ago.

ccmmick.
They went Into The Valley, did'nt they?

Old 26th February 2010, 21:30

I believe that skids are still in almost daily use on the Blackpool Tramway. Derailments are common because of sand blowing into the rail grooves and causing the wheels to ride up. The Tramway engineers had the re-railing down to a fine art - time is money as they say.
Old 26th February 2010, 22:48
Station Manager

Loco Jacks

On the Rhodesia Railways all locos had jacks. It was down to the crew to re-rail any derailed wagons. It could take 6 to 8 hours to get a recovery crew to you which would mean everything was at a standstill, single line working. If there wasn't enough sidings for the trains then a recovery train could not get through. So recovery teams would have to come by road. This could often mean dirt tracks, which if wet could cause more problems with heavy lorries getting stuck in the mud. So we would have to use jacks and crow bars and a bit of brute power. You can see the jacks on the front of the Garratt in the photo below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16th Class Garrett No.600.jpg (113.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 27th February 2010, 22:44
Station Manager

Thanks for that Syd. One tends to forget how self sufficient crews need to be in more remote places!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 28th February 2010, 20:20

When things go wrong with engines it's quite simple if we can't fix it.

Then we know a man who can!!!!!!!
Old 28th February 2010, 21:08
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011 View Post
On the Rhodesia Railways all locos had jacks. It was down to the crew to re-rail any derailed wagons. It could take 6 to 8 hours to get a recovery crew to you which would mean everything was at a standstill, single line working. If there wasn't enough sidings for the trains then a recovery train could not get through. So recovery teams would have to come by road. This could often mean dirt tracks, which if wet could cause more problems with heavy lorries getting stuck in the mud. So we would have to use jacks and crow bars and a bit of brute power. You can see the jacks on the front of the Garratt in the photo below
You certainly had to know your stuff working for Rhodesia Railways, what with derailments and lions and other wildlife roaming about eh Syd.
Old 28th February 2010, 22:27
Station Manager

"You certainly had to know your stuff working for Rhodesia Railways, what with derailments and lions and other wildlife roaming about eh Syd".

This is true Locojoe, but then we did not have to know all the routes and station layouts that the British crews had to know. The two largest stations in Rhodesia were Bulawayo and Salisbury. Salisbury only had 3 platforms and Bulawayo had 4. The only double line working was between the two cities, all the rest were single line. All of the signals were C.T.C color light working apart from the line through Botswana which had semaphore but for a long time that line was crewed by South Africans. On the main line from Bulawayo through Sawmills, Dett, Thompson Junction and Victoria falls and into Zambia, there was only one train every two hours. In the evening there was a mixed goods/passenger and one Mail (express passenger) train that ran over night. (Express passengers also carried mail and were timed at 45mph)
So as you can see we did not have as much to worry about as the British crews did. In all my time on the R.R. I never had to re-rail anything. We did however have to isolate the front end of a 15th Class Garratt once when I was still a fireman.
Old 28th February 2010, 22:42

Away from this a bit
We had a driver at St Blazey called Dennis Mugford a real gent and he never had a failed train untill his very last week of service.
Now that takes a bit of believing but i assure you it is true.
Like i say he was a true gent and six months after retirement he died .

ccmmick.