09:51

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

LMS film about 10000 diesel loco

Old 15th August 2014, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
A nice bit of film, very informative. The commentary seemed strange to our ears, reminded me of the CoI films with the stilted language. I saw many of those as an RAF Apprentice in the late 1950's.
I know exactly what you mean. I got my first job as a sound engineer at COI in the 1980s. If it's any consolation we used to hoot with laughter at the scripts we were given whilst we were making some of the public information films & radio fillers.

Happy days.

Old 18th October 2014, 21:58

The 10,000, To quote Mr Bond, CME.
Just to let you all know the project, whilst quiescent for some time, is still pootling along.
The probably Unique Mark 1 16SVT was successfully winterised today, probably for the last time before moving on to a more substantial base, where more sustained action can happen on the ground.
I will try and post updates, one of our problems was being too secretive, hopefully a few changes mean we shall be far more al encompassing, anyone interested will be most welcome to join and be involved renovating those bogies.
Good solid plans are in place, which have involved appropriate discussions with senior Railway Engineers.
We really need a chassis, and its an open secret its a 58.
An Appeal for 'Pieces of 58' is next. Its quite good because a share can be returned once parts are sold or processed, or re-invested in the Project.
The society has promoted considerable interest and popular support from many enthusiasts and particularly Derby men who understand the significance of these locos, which prompted the decision to Modernisation, and both clocked up over 1million miles, when you add in 'The 10,001's 60000 miles whistling away from 1963-66 with Napier turbos and AWS.
The fact 10000 was cleared for the road to preservation at Clapham and the drivers locos persistently failed to haul 'pet'10001 for scrap emphasizes their true significance in the real story, the fact 10000 held the diesel speed record of 82mph, then shared it with 10001 at 88mph briefly, and were said to be the only locos entrusted over Shap with a Royal Scot load 17, was surely the day that Modernisation began. Everything from the engine to the nosecones, twin cabs, chassis design and bogies is a lesson in Railway Engineering, it paved the way for future designs.
That is why we must succeed.
Any one who wants to help or donate, or wishes to in the Midlands in the near future, please get in touch.
Thankyou.
Old 20th October 2014, 04:44

If I remember right, there is a reference to state-of-the-art use of asbestos for soundproofing in the locomotive. How times change!
Old 23rd October 2014, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
I found this film about building LMS diesel 10000 on you tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9rSzitGZZg

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LiahaE1IAE
Thanks for sharing! I love blasts from the past like that!
Old 24th October 2014, 15:24

They mentioned the use of asbestos for sound and heat proofing. Were there any cases of asbestosis reported as a result over the years?