19:13

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

GSM-R

Old 3rd January 2014, 12:19

GSM-R

Can anyone please tell me how I can listen in to train to shore communications? What kit do I need? Is it legal?

Old 3rd January 2014, 18:50

What on earth is train to shore communications ?. Or, are we meaning train driver to Control Centre.
Old 3rd January 2014, 18:58

Yes. (tencharacters)
Old 3rd January 2014, 21:25

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putney7
Can anyone please tell me how I can listen in to train to shore communications? What kit do I need? Is it legal?
You've entitled this thread 'GSM-R' - so I assume it's that which which you are referring to.

Long Answer

This is the latest digital radio system, based on proven GSM telephone technology, but with a twist that makes it exclusive to the railway.

It will be used for all manner of uses all over the rail network, but primarily it will be train to shore as you correctly say. It will replace both NRN and CSR eventually as those systems are phased out. Because it is essentially phone technology it can provide group calls, so several drivers can speak together at once (as in assistance procedure). Also when running in Emergency mode, all parties in the same cell will be able to listen in to the situation developing.

As well as base units installed in cabs, there are handsets which are like mobile phones.

It is also the digital gateway which enables ERTMS to to talk to trains and provide In-Cab signalling in the future. This is expected to be rolled out on the Southern End of the ECML soon, following trials on the Hertford Loop.

But It's digitally encoded and absolutely secure so no casual lsiteners will ever get to hear it.

Short Answer
You can't

HTH BW
Old 4th January 2014, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeyar Wunby View Post
Short Answer
You can't

HTH BW
And it will probably be illegal as technically is listening to Aircraft and Police frequencies

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 14th January 2014, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcaravanner View Post
And it will probably be illegal as technically is listening to Aircraft and Police frequencies
Listening is not illegal.............repeating what you hear is.

The answer for GSM-R is correct you can't as its set up for secure comms between the calling parties.

Les
Old 14th January 2014, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesG View Post
Listening is not illegal.............repeating what you hear is.

The answer for GSM-R is correct you can't as its set up for secure comms between the calling parties.

Les
LOL

the technical term is the use of information "with intent" I learnt this as an air cadet and we used air comms to track civil flights from London to Canada over a week-end as an Air Traffic control lesson with strict instructions not to identify flight call signs very difficult if you try it

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643