10:32

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Technology to tackle cable thefts (BBC News)

Old 28th January 2008, 19:24

Technology to tackle cable thefts (BBC News)

A remote-controlled helicopter is the latest weapon in the fight against cable thefts from railways in the North East.

More from BBC News...

Old 29th January 2008, 09:27
Admin

It's amazing the drastic risks minor criminals will go to. I couldn't believe it when my other half told me she had dealt with a guy in his 20's fried on a big national grid pylon last week, all for the sake of the copper cable. Madness.
Then again, with copper the price it is, and old 2p pieces being worth more than 2p in scrap, copper seems to be the new 'gold'.
Old 29th January 2008, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It's amazing the drastic risks minor criminals will go to. I couldn't believe it when my other half told me she had dealt with a guy in his 20's fried on a big national grid pylon last week, all for the sake of the copper cable. Madness.
I wonder if the idiot found out before he got fried that pylon cables are mostly steel and aluminium - no copper up there.

My sympathy for the emergency services people that had to clean up the mess afterwards. NO way I could do their job.
Old 29th January 2008, 21:34
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat View Post

My sympathy for the emergency services people that had to clean up the mess afterwards. NO way I could do their job.
It took them half a day to get the pylon identified and made safe... so he was up there a long time.

If no copper, it could've been that he was after aluminium? That's worth a bit.