16:03

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Enfield Lock railway station

Old 1st August 2007, 10:19
Registered Member

Angry Enfield Lock railway station

Hello All I just thought I'd have a bit of a moan this morning.

My back garden backs on to Enfield Lock railway station on the line between Liverpool Street and Cambridge. Years ago it was a busy station with a signalbox, level crossing, Stationmaster, porters, station waiting rooms and toilets all kept clean by the station staff. Today if you are waiting for a train you can stand under a plastic shelter or sit on one of those moulded plastic seats. The Level crossing is still there with those lift up gates instead of the open and shut ones,all the rest is gone all demolished.

People say railways years ago were smokey grimy places, but for the most part they were safe and friendly. Passengers could travel without the fear of being robbed or worse. I know I'm getting on a bit and us old uns keep going on about the good old days, some of the old days were not so good what with wars, shortages and poverty.
Alan Locojoe.