08:13

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hello from new member

Old 15th January 2007, 06:22

Hello from new member

Just registered and am now having a look round the site I started on the railways back in 1950,at Bescot MPD which is in the West Midlands,it was mostly a freight depot and 90% of our work was coal trains throughout the Midlands ...started as cleaner and worked my way up through all the stages and eventually reached the dizzy heights of Driver after a very long apprenticeship (dont think thats spelt right),anyway by that time Deisels were beginning to make an appearance,and since I was young and wanted some of that,I applied for and eventually got a post as a Deisel instructor,was still an engine driver but was trained so I could train other drivers how to operate Deisel traction....after about 8 years of that it got to the point where everyone was trained,so it started to peter out,and electric locos were starting to put in an appearance,for them there was not the same appeal for some reason,and the possibility of going back to shift working after such a long time,didnt appeal to me ...shortly after that I left the railways breaking a chain that had gone back 3 generations,but the lure of a regular day job was just too much ...My last 20 odd years were served with British Telecom .....

Last edited by exfootplateman; 15th January 2007 at 06:42.
Old 15th January 2007, 06:31

Nice one Exfootplateman. plenty of ex footplate men here i think so you are in good company. good to see when you left the railway you still had a job on "the lines" ha ha, welcome, enjoy the site.
Old 15th January 2007, 06:48

Many thanks for the welcome billyboy A Hammers supporter living in the Phillipines ? bet you dont travel to many matches they're having a bit of a bad time at the moment,but Im positive it will pick up soon...they're far to good to be in that position they are in now ...take care ...Bob
Old 15th January 2007, 07:25
Registered Member

Hi Bob welcome to the forum a nice easy going group all decent chaps, I don't know if there any ladies. I started as a cleaner in 1954 at Enfield [North London] all local passenger work and ended up at Kings Cross. I was never a driver. Alan Locojoe.
Old 15th January 2007, 08:06
Station Manager

Welcome to the site. I grew up in Birmingham during the 50's and early 60's. Wasn't Bescot one of the last shed's to have the LNWR 0-8-0's?
Old 15th January 2007, 09:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
Welcome to the site. I grew up in Birmingham during the 50's and early 60's. Wasn't Bescot one of the last shed's to have the LNWR 0-8-0's?

It sure was we had loads of them D's or Duck 8's or super D's call them what you will you had to know how to fire them,as they had a flat firegrate,each one was so different,and a lot we had had problems with keeping steam up, they also leaked steam from every joint possible,in the winter sometimes it was difficult to see past the front end but one thing about them they would keep on going no matter how low the steam pressure got.....they were also ugly looking brutes of course
Old 15th January 2007, 09:29

Hello "exfootplateman" and welcome to the forum.
Old 15th January 2007, 12:22

Hi exfootplateman and welcome
Old 15th January 2007, 17:23

Welcome my friend hope you enjoy the forums i look forward to myour imput
Old 15th January 2007, 20:14
Station Manager

Welcome along hope you enjoy our little forum,and start posting soon.
All the best,Ian.