08:30

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

BR open days

Old 25th July 2010, 20:53

BR open days

Are there any BR open days this year. Is there anything Aug 9 - 19?

Old 25th July 2010, 21:40

Tricky. British Rail was privatized into over 100 different companies in 1997.

There aren't as many depot open days these days I don't think? Although there are some, not sure why though.
Old 25th July 2010, 22:38

what about works open days. I know Wolverton Works was cancelled, but are there others?
Old 25th July 2010, 22:57

There was one at Crewe Gresty Bridge earlier in the year. Northern Rail usually hold an open day at some point, but otherwise, not sure really, if there even is anything. Oh, Transpennine Express had an open day at Ardwick earlier in the year, that's the last one I went too.

I think Health & Safety is the excuse to put the kebosh on a lot of this sort of thing.
Old 25th July 2010, 23:17

thanks for the respose.

I remember going to Old Oak Common, Stratford, Easfield etc in teh 80s -- it was brilliant. I live in Chicago at the moment, but coming for a trip Aug 9-19 -- where would you receommend going to see a working class 50? It appears that SVR is best place, but there are a lot of 50s being restored I think.

Have you been to the Great Central Railway. I hear on the 14th August there are 25/26/27s running in to Lougboro' and Leicester -- anyone know if this railway is any good. I think I went when I was 12 but cant remember it.
Old 26th July 2010, 05:56
Station Manager

Simon this may help you taken from the Great Central Railway wesite at http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/

1st - DELTIC RUNNING WEEKEND - Saturday 07 August 2010 to Sunday 08 August 2010

Summer star guest diesel D9009 will haul the 12.15pm departure today.

2nd - Mixed Traffic weekend starring BRCW diesels - Saturday 14 August 2010 to Sunday 15 August 2010

NEW FOR 2010!

This weekend will see steam and diesel locomotives in action working full line returns and short shuttles, making maximum use of the doule track.

See an exciting line up of Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon company locomotives - a class 26, class 27 and class 33. A unique line up!

More details to follow.

Could not find any times for Class 50's on the Seven Valley railway but they do have a few there.

Hope thats some help,All the best,Ian
Old 26th July 2010, 11:27

I think the days of the big open days have long since gone now. For starters, there aren't the depots that there used to be. Bringing in so many loco's for one event is a logistical nightmare, plus the companies that own all the yards and depots that are in use today probably couldn't afford to have their infrastructure compromised by such an event anymore. When Thornaby had an open day years ago, the depot and surrounding area was at a virtual shut down for ages while so many people were wandering around the tracks.
Old 26th July 2010, 17:32

open days

I visited Wolverton Works open day the last time it happened it was great as they still manufactured most of the components in house.The making of brake blocks by two men and a furnace was fantastic.It was access all areas and yuo could look into the royal train shed but not enter,the traverser was dmo,,d as were all aspects of carriage overhaul.Shame the accountants called a stop to this years event.Aylesbury station held an open day in the eighties with the Duchess in attendance.A feature of the weekend was the attempt at the world speed recordover Marsh Crossing!!!!!!!!Two class 20,s attended straight off coal trains in the noth, not even cleaned! Perhaps Chiltern will open Aylesbury depot one day,Sunday morning it was visited by a Wrexnam set.