18:57

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Tinsley Class 13s

Old 18th February 2013, 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrail View Post
Hello Shunterfan and welcome to the Forum. Very nice to have your memories of these locomotives thanks.

Gray - yes, I always wondered why they chopped the cab off one of the engines but it may have been something to do with centre of gravity or traction? If I remember correctly, the slave unit was additionally weighted with concrete so that the combined unit was something like 120 tons.

Not sure of the weightings IanRail but that sounds right
I did find on RM Web of which I am a member it's a pretty good description of someones conversion of Bachmann 08's and also someone elses photo's of Hornby 08 conversions and there are kits avaialbe to make them too

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/ind...-class-13-pt1/

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 19th February 2013, 10:26

was trained on the 13s whilst i was at tinsley(think it was the thought of driving them that made me transfer darn sarf).god the hump shunt was a boring job you had to switch your mind off or you would go barmy.nobody did a full 8hr stint on them we had spare men to relieve you of the ordeal.no 08 or 09 was a pleasure to drive but the 13s and the work invovled were a punishment
Old 19th February 2013, 18:47

Hi Shunter fan and welcome to our forum. Good place to be
Cheers
Phil
Old 20th February 2013, 13:52

When I started at Millerhill in 1980 the down hump was still in use, I agree with poggie man, it was mind numbing work.

All the shunting work was in the accomodated link, drivers with medical conditions etc which meant they had to be doublemanned. Every driver on the down hump pilot took their PNB in the "Alpha", a pub 5 mins walk away

There used to be 6 shunting locos at Millerhill, now there's one on hire to Network Rail who now own the yard. Early '80s there was the down hump pilot, down yard pilot, four in total in the up yard, two general pilots, reclamation pilot and "McPhee's" pilot (the Pway shunting job).
Old 27th July 2013, 10:27

I remember 'spotting' in Tinsley many times in the early eighties when a bus fare from Sheffield Victoria cost 2p for u-16s - happy days those were!
On every occasion we would see the class 13 shunters, but never did I see one moving! Rarely did I ever see a human being about the place except other spotters. The only time I actually saw anyone who worked there was when we were actually inside the shed (illegally) taking numbers and were shouted at by a foreman, at which stage we legged it. For such a big and important shed it was very easy to walk into and take a look around.
I recall one dreary day seeing a class 13 outside the shed, with one of its headlight doors (+ thick bullseye lens insert) lying on the front of the engine while it was undergoing some minor maintenance - ashamedly I put it in my bag and took it home! My brother still has it somewhere and he won't give me it back.
Old 5th August 2013, 13:12

Found this on facebook... Can't vouch for it's authenticity though. Nothing about it on the North Norfolk Railway website...

Important Press Release from the Weybourne Traction Group:

The Weybourne Traction Group are pleased to announce support for a new build heritage diesel locomotive to be constructed at the North Norfolk Railway.

Absent from the railway system for nearly 30 years, a new build Class 13 Master and Slave shunter will be created in the workshops at Weybourne. Utilising the railways own class 08, D3935, and a recently acquired additional class 08, surplus to requirements at another heritage line. The locomotives will be modified and overhauled, before being outshopped in BR Blue with the number 13101, recognising some of the modifications against the original design to be made, including air braking.

Tim Insley, spokesperson for the project commented "We have been given the opportunity to recreate one of the diesel world's most unusual locomotives, and we look forward to seeing the first locomotive with a Weybourne worksplate".

Work on modifications to D3935 are currently being undertaken, and the additional 08 will be fully overhauled and modified upon its arrival at the railway. The work is expected to take around two years, with the engine expected in traffic around the start of April 2015.

Last edited by draximus; 5th August 2013 at 13:17.
Old 5th August 2013, 13:25

Could be a wind up ?

The spokesperson was Tim Insley = T Insley = tinsley.

Coincidence ?
Old 5th August 2013, 18:59

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by draximus View Post
Found this on facebook... Can't vouch for it's authenticity though. Nothing about it on the North Norfolk Railway website...

Important Press Release from the Weybourne Traction Group:

The Weybourne Traction Group are pleased to announce support for a new build heritage diesel locomotive to be constructed at the North Norfolk Railway.

Absent from the railway system for nearly 30 years, a new build Class 13 Master and Slave shunter will be created in the workshops at Weybourne. Utilising the railways own class 08, D3935, and a recently acquired additional class 08, surplus to requirements at another heritage line. The locomotives will be modified and overhauled, before being outshopped in BR Blue with the number 13101, recognising some of the modifications against the original design to be made, including air braking.

Tim Insley, spokesperson for the project commented "We have been given the opportunity to recreate one of the diesel world's most unusual locomotives, and we look forward to seeing the first locomotive with a Weybourne worksplate".

Work on modifications to D3935 are currently being undertaken, and the additional 08 will be fully overhauled and modified upon its arrival at the railway. The work is expected to take around two years, with the engine expected in traffic around the start of April 2015.

Did you not notice the DATE

April 1st

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 28th July 2015, 06:45

I was a secondman at Tinsley in 1970's. I sometimes crewed on them if (for example) they had radio problems. I drove them as part of shed duties i.e. from bottom shed to top shed or onto maintainence roads. Cabs were removed for sighting purposes and as control was solely from rear the contol deck was not needed. Apart from independant battery isolators and a parking brake all running controls were from the rear cab. Slave unit was ballasted across front buffer beam with heavy steel plates. They used vhf radio callsign 'Tinrail alpha/bravo/charlie'. They were real dogs to ride on - typical 08 - hold on and try not to fracture your spine :-) Occasionally we used a class 47 with slow speed MGR equipment and a hand held radio, but they were useless. Due to constant load change they could not hold the set speed. They were though very special and added to the experimental diversity of early diesel traction. I don't have any personal photos as all mine were lost in a messy divorce in 1990, but I had pics of derailments on the hump, deltics at Tinsley and 47601 - class 56 prototype which I worked on. Happy days.
Old 21st September 2015, 22:50

They cut the cabs off for visibility from the master cab, they were originally positioned cab-cab

They were rebuilt at Darlington works In 1965, the extra weight to 120 tons is correct, they had especially heave buffer beams to make this weight.

13001 was originally D4501 and was made from D4190 (master) & D4180 (slave)
13002 was D4502 (D4187m + D3697s)
13003 was D4500 (D4188m + D3698s)

they were withdrawn between 1981-85