00:54

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Zero 1

Old 28th December 2008, 11:44

Zero 1

I have been given a Zero 1, Hornby controller, my question is, are the modules still available to convert the standard locos, I have saw some second hand ones on e Bay, but would like to buy new.

As I am new to the world of model trains ( that's if you don't count my Triang, Princess Elizabeth, that I got for xmas 1952). Any advice would be gladly accepted.
Brian.

Last edited by huytonbrian; 28th December 2008 at 16:26.
Old 28th December 2008, 17:28

I had a Zero 1 layout in the 1980's and it was excellent then, but it's very old hat now.

I was going to suggest that ZTC do modules which are Zero 1 compatible, but then I saw that they (ZTC) have had 'problems'.

Someone else is handling their kit now. A Google throws up this linky...http://www.sbxmodelrail.co.uk/Default.htm

To be honest Zero 1 is obsolescent. Since you've got some bits it might be worth a dabble for curiousity's sake, but don't spend too much cash on it. If you're seriously considering starting a new layout I'd suggest going for a DCC system, or similar.
Old 28th December 2008, 17:33

I seem to remember somewhere that they were available,
At a cost though. I am quite happy with my set but if I ever do relay with nickel silver track rather than the Hornby plated steel and every rail joint soldered sequrely I'm sure I would enjoy playing even more. Last time I looked at it was a year or so back when I converted two 'Nellies' managing to get the modules inside each body and then painting them Apple Green. After many years 'up in the roof' and not having been used the controllers worked just like they had done more than 10 years previously.
Maybe I should get more track and start a simple layout again.
John (G)