17:55

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Have you ever heard of those unusual engines?

Old 16th March 2015, 19:46

Smile Have you ever heard of those unusual engines?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW1-NvHGx74

Old 17th March 2015, 00:16

Interesting ideas.....
Old 17th March 2015, 10:49

Know of many of those - most are in Wikipedia.

Brunton's Mechanical Traveller was intended for very steep inclines such as from Bullbridge to a quarry in Crich the hope being to eliminate the complexity of cable haulage as the working face moved. It was actually quite successful until a driver overloaded its boiler up in Newcastle and it exploded. It was never carried on but its descendants can e seen today in the form of walking draglines.

The Fell diesel was a regular sight on the Midland main line and was also pretty successful. It was intended to reduce weight compared to diesel-electrics (hauling through-braked stock) and be more efficient than diesel-hydraulic. Its downfall was that it was too complex to economically maintain.

The LNER loco at the beginning was I believe their Beyer-Garratt. The LMS built some (with Derby axle boxes) and there are many still working all over the world (in fact I think one of our members used to drive them for Rhodesian Railways)

Last edited by wyvern; 17th March 2015 at 11:32.
Old 24th March 2015, 21:18

Apart from the Beyer Garratt (LNER Class U1), they were all a bunch of experiments and/or failures. The Fell diesel proved only that 2000 hp was too much for a mechanical transmission on a locomotive. (using technology existing at that time.). It probably spent more time in works than in useful service.

The U1 was used as a banker on the Worsborough Incline, until the route was electrified as part of the Woodhead scheme. I seem to recall it was then tried briefly as a Lickey banker, but they then decided to use a 9F 2-10-0 instead.
Old 25th March 2015, 10:12

During the lifetime of the Fell Diesel I used to get the Trains Illustrated every month. Every time the Fell diesel left Derby works there were photographs and a short article. The loco spent long spells "in works" and used to occasionally venture out to Manchester and back. It was a red letter day for the spotters whenever it made it as far as Manchester Central, think I saw it twice. The early diesel experimental locos seemed to follow the same pattern; 18000, 18100, Lion, Falcon etc.