13:56

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Network Rail planners

Old 12th May 2010, 20:04
Registered Member

Network Rail planners

Network Rail planners and a remarkable outbreak of common sense.

The "Let them ride buses" mentality of some Network Rail planners has actually changed a little for the better. There was recently a remarkable outbreak of common sense with planned renewal of track and overhead power lines at Hitchin. Instead of busing passengers for miles Network Rail agreed to allow drivers of electric trains to lower their pantographs and coast through the section of line where the overhead power line was isolated.

Old 12th May 2010, 20:11

But will common sense last.
Old 13th May 2010, 08:52

Will we ever get single line working back in possessions?
Old 15th May 2010, 20:01

Bet not many would know how to put in s/l/w.Had many a good night s/l/w in the Banbury area.
Old 15th May 2010, 20:14
Registered Member

what is a s/l/w

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford View Post
Bet not many would know how to put in s/l/w.Had many a good night s/l/w in the Banbury area.
Hi oxford can you let me know what a s/l/w is. Forgive my ignorance.
Old 15th May 2010, 21:23

S/L/W.= Single Line Working.

Cheers, 62440.
Old 16th May 2010, 09:30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62440 View Post
S/L/W.= Single Line Working.

Cheers, 62440.
Thanks fot the info 62440.
Old 17th May 2010, 00:02

Hello all, As an ex-member of staff at Network Rail just to let you in on what the Rule book says, is that it an Overhead Line Isolation an a Possession of the Line is taken an men are working even if it is planned then the only trains allowed to pass through are works trains in conjunction with the works in a worksite. An under no circumstances can a passenger train pass through or coast through with there pantograph lowered.
Old 17th May 2010, 07:34
Registered Member

lnwr20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnwr20 View Post
Hello all, As an ex-member of staff at Network Rail just to let you in on what the Rule book says, is that it an Overhead Line Isolation an a Possession of the Line is taken an men are working even if it is planned then the only trains allowed to pass through are works trains in conjunction with the works in a worksite. An under no circumstances can a passenger train pass through or coast through with there pantograph lowered.
Hi Phill This is the message I quoted from, sent to me by a chap I know.

{QUOTE Network Rail is too divorced from the passengers who actually travel on the railway. I recall attending a meeting around five years back to discuss train service alterations as a result of Network Rail declaring Kings Cross would be closed for three days over an Easter holiday period. All main line and suburban trains were to be turned back at Finsbury Park causing a great deal of congestion, reduction in train service frequency and huge inconvenience to passengers. Luggage had to be humped up staircases and passengers had to wait on platforms at Finsbury Park with limited cover from the rain.

I dared to ask a question exactly what work Network Rail was undertaking necessitating the blockage of four tracks between Finsbury Park and Kings Cross. I was initially reminded that the scope of the meeting was to discuss train service alterations but again enquired what work was actually taking place. The Chair of the meeting rather embarrassingly admitted that just one of the four lines, the Down Slow, on the West side of the four track railway at Holloway was being relaid. I asked why Down trains could not use the Up Fast Line under Single LIne Working arrangements and all Up Trains be routed over the Up Slow. The Chair admitted that it had been decided to deploy numerous road/rail vehicles in connection with the track relaying and the road access point to the work site involved crossing the Up Slow and Up Fast lines so all lines were blocked. Network Rail chose not to use Engineering Trains for the relaying job as they would not have to hire in so many Trains and Drivers to work the trains. The dis-benefit to passengers was of no interest to them.

There we have it. I'm glad to report the "Let them ride buses" mentality of some Network Rail
planners has actually changed a little for the better. There was recently a remarkable outbreak of common sense with planned renewal of track and overhead power lines at Hitchin. Instead of busing passengers for miles Network Rail agreed to allow drivers of electric trains to lower their pantographs and coast through the section of line where the overhead power line was isolated.

Regards Dave QUOTE}
Old 17th May 2010, 13:16
Registered Member

Dead O.H.L. section

Further info about a passenger trains being allowed to coast through a dead OHL section with their pantographs lowered. This is the email I recieved from Dave.

Alan the rules have been revised and instructions on where and how trains will coast through a dead O.H.L. section will be published in the Weekly Operating Notice.

Regards Dave