13:03

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Ronnie Biggs has died

Old 18th December 2013, 16:11

Ronnie Biggs has died

The Great Train Robbery has been discussed many times on this Forum and I can't imagine Ronnie Biggs or any other members of the gang will get much sympathy here. By incredible coincidence BBC are showing a programme on the robbery at 8pm tonight.

Although I've researched and read books on the subject, something I've never ever managed to find out for sure is which member of the gang actually attacked Driver Mills. Does anyone know if this was ever determined?

Old 18th December 2013, 16:33

I can only suggest the wikipedia article:-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Train_Robbery_(1963)

If you scroll down to Jack Mills there is a fair chunk about this subject. (Bear in mind it's wikipedia and may not be accurate)

Regards, 62440.
Old 18th December 2013, 20:47

Watching "The Great Train Robbery". Why can't the BBC find someone with real railway knowledge as a Consultant ? In the first half hour there have been several laughable shots of the railway and signals. Two villains walking down the six foot of a twin track, supposedly the west coast main line. Sabotaging a shunting signal, again supposedly a main signal. Starting a Class 4 in a shed without anyone noticing and subsequently driving down the yard, again unnoticed. Hope the rest of the programme is a bit more realistic.
Old 19th December 2013, 09:34

What struck me was that they couldnt find someone who could drive the loco but were able to sort out the vacuum brakes.
Old 19th December 2013, 14:46

Unhappy

I have posted on this realism subject in the past. The last book i read stated that one of the gang changed a "dwarf ground signal" to red, thereby stopping the train, and this was supposed to happen on the WCML.
I agree, the director of the programme should get the technical facts correct.
Old 19th December 2013, 17:36

I noticed that glaring error too but then I decided they did not want to show too much realism, it may give other villains ideas, that was my interpretation anyway. No consultant worth his salt would say it was ok, I am sure of that. I did raise my eyebrows at them driving away a loco, for a practice, and no one noticing.
Ken Birch
Old 19th December 2013, 18:23
Station Manager

Also the train was on the wrong track as it was going towards the ambush, it was speeding down on the right hand track instead of the left and at one point showed it on a single track. I have done a copy on the TV and will have another look tomorrow.
Old 19th December 2013, 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62440 View Post
I can only suggest the wikipedia article:-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Train_Robbery_(1963)

If you scroll down to Jack Mills there is a fair chunk about this subject. (Bear in mind it's wikipedia and may not be accurate)

Regards, 62440.
Thanks for this. The more I read the more confusing it seems to get. I think it's fair to say that 50 years after the event we're never going to get at the truth. As far as I understand, the few remaining witnesses always swore they'd take their secrets to the grave and it looks as if that's exactly what will happen.