20:47

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Sleeper trains to Scotland?

Old 4th February 2009, 04:44

Sleeper trains to Scotland?

I have two questions about the sleeper trains to Scotland.

The first one is: How many cars are on the Glasgow & Edinburgh sleeper service and what order are they in?

My second question is how many cars are on the Inverness/Aberdeen/Fort William service and what order are the in?

I was over in the UK back in 1994 and rode the now discontinued Plymouth to Glasgow/Edinburgh sleeper and the London to Inverness sleeper.I had a great time and i'm wondering what has changed??? Thanks in advance!!!

Old 4th February 2009, 11:00

Hello and welcome to the forum viaamtrak. I'm afraid I can't help with your question, but I'm sure someone on here will be able to.
Old 4th February 2009, 21:49

Smile

The Edinburgh/Glasgow 'Lowland' sleeper is formed of 16 coaches and the longest passenger train in the UK, with the rear half being split off at Carstairs which goes to Edinburgh.

The Aberdeen/Inverness/Fort William one is I believe 14 coaches. 6 to Aberdeen, 6 to Inverness and 2 to Fort William. At Edinburgh, where it splits, the lounge car and seated sleeper coach are attached to the two berth coaches to run on a normal passenger train (by which I mean you can buy Edinburgh to Fort William tickets for it in the seated sleeper) and leaves at 0450. Going to Fort William as far as Edinburgh, passengers are required to share the seated sleeper portion of the Inverness sleeper where a change is required.

Going the other way is virtually exactly the opposite.

Traction wise, it's 90s from Glasgow/Edinburgh to London and on the Aberdeen/Inverness/Fort William to London after Edinburgh. From Edinburgh to Aberdeen, Inverness and Fort William it's all 67s these days.

Hope this helps!
Old 4th February 2009, 21:54
Station Manager

Hello Viaamtrak and welcome to the Railway Forum.
Old 5th February 2009, 00:08
Station Manager

Hello and welcome to the forum, enjoy and all the best.
Old 5th February 2009, 03:56

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingtonTramBasher View Post
The Edinburgh/Glasgow 'Lowland' sleeper is formed of 16 coaches and the longest passenger train in the UK, with the rear half being split off at Carstairs which goes to Edinburgh.

The Aberdeen/Inverness/Fort William one is I believe 14 coaches. 6 to Aberdeen, 6 to Inverness and 2 to Fort William. At Edinburgh, where it splits, the lounge car and seated sleeper coach are attached to the two berth coaches to run on a normal passenger train (by which I mean you can buy Edinburgh to Fort William tickets for it in the seated sleeper) and leaves at 0450. Going to Fort William as far as Edinburgh, passengers are required to share the seated sleeper portion of the Inverness sleeper where a change is required.

Going the other way is virtually exactly the opposite.

Traction wise, it's 90s from Glasgow/Edinburgh to London and on the Aberdeen/Inverness/Fort William to London after Edinburgh. From Edinburgh to Aberdeen, Inverness and Fort William it's all 67s these days.

Hope this helps!
Thank you very much! Just wondering how many of the cars are "seated" coaches on each section of all the trains? Thanks in advance!
Old 5th February 2009, 04:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by viaamtrak View Post
I have two questions about the sleeper trains to Scotland.

The first one is: How many cars are on the Glasgow & Edinburgh sleeper service and what order are they in?

My second question is how many cars are on the Inverness/Aberdeen/Fort William service and what order are the in?

I was over in the UK back in 1994 and rode the now discontinued Plymouth to Glasgow/Edinburgh sleeper and the London to Inverness sleeper.I had a great time and i'm wondering what has changed??? Thanks in advance!!!
Oh, by the way thank you for the kind words on joining this web site i look forward to checking the post as UK railroading is very interesting, especially your passenger srevice!
Old 7th February 2009, 10:26

Not wishing to be too pickie as this is a little bit wrong.

The Edin Wav to Aberdeen normally does have 6 coaches formed of 4 sleepers a lounge and the seating coach/guards van hauled by a 67.

The Edin Wav to Fort Bill I believe has 4 coaches 2 sleepers a lounge and the seats/guards van hauled b a 67

The Edin Wav to Inverness IS normally 8 coaches 6 sleepers a lounge and the seats/guards van this past week being hauled by 67011 Mon and Tue, 67019 on Wed and 67009 on Thurs and Fri I know this as I was driving the thing.
Wed and Thurs we brought up 9 coaches with the extra 1 having just come off tyre turning etc to be brought back into service from Inverness CSMD.

So coming off Lon EU that would make the train to Edin wav formed of 18 coaches hauled by the 90.

Les
Old 7th February 2009, 19:18

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesG View Post

Not wishing to be too pickie as this is a little bit wrong.

The Edin Wav to Aberdeen normally does have 6 coaches formed of 4 sleepers a lounge and the seating coach/guards van hauled by a 67.

The Edin Wav to Fort Bill I believe has 4 coaches 2 sleepers a lounge and the seats/guards van hauled b a 67

The Edin Wav to Inverness IS normally 8 coaches 6 sleepers a lounge and the seats/guards van this past week being hauled by 67011 Mon and Tue, 67019 on Wed and 67009 on Thurs and Fri I know this as I was driving the thing.
Wed and Thurs we brought up 9 coaches with the extra 1 having just come off tyre turning etc to be brought back into service from Inverness CSMD.

So coming off Lon EU that would make the train to Edin wav formed of 18 coaches hauled by the 90.

Les

Thank you Les!
Old 7th February 2009, 22:43

Fair enough, my observations from memory must be a little faded!